External backup vs External hardware

Reaction score
Hello all! I am buying the 2012 Macbook Air this weekend (maybe??? Still deciding if I should wait for the refresh, which has led to countless hours scouring Mac forums).

Anyway, I am going for the 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. Even the 256GB SSD won't be enough, so I'm going for the smaller SSD and will use an external hard drive to store the majority of my files such as music, documents, pictures, etc.

Is this a good idea?

Should I have two separate HDs, one for backing up what little files I'll have on my Mac, and one for the majority of my files? Or will one suffice?

I will be primarily using the MBA as a consumer.. light web browsing, grad school coursework, downloading and playing music, etc.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway, I am going for the 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. Even the 256GB SSD won't be enough, so I'm going for the smaller SSD and will use an external hard drive to store the majority of my files such as music, documents, pictures, etc.

Is this a good idea?

In my humble opinion...no!

More than likely you're getting the MacBook Air for it's lighter weight, sleeker looking design, etc. But what's really the point if you have to carry an external hard drive with you everywhere...and have to constantly plug & unplug this external HD into the MacBook Air to have access to those files??;)

I understand that a 128gig or 256gig of flash storage isn't enough (and expensive). But if you need more storage...a MacBook Air + an external HD is really not the best way to go.

If you can live without the MacBook Air...then I would suggest getting a MacBook Pro with a 500gig or 750gig traditional hard drive...then remove the CD/DVD drive from it...and install a 128gig or 256gig internal SSD drive (if you really want a 2nd internal SSD).

Should I have two separate HDs, one for backing up what little files I'll have on my Mac, and one for the majority of my files? Or will one suffice?

You always want a separate hard drive for your backups. So whatever computer you decide to get...you need at least one external HD just for backup purposes.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nick. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too :Smirk:. I'll have to make a decision I guess.

I may just put my iTunes onto the external HD and keep everything else on the SSD since I mainly need the portability to go to and from classes and such.

Again, thanks! Especially on specifying that I need two separate options for this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may just put my iTunes onto the external HD and keep everything else on the SSD since I mainly need the portability to go to and from classes and such.

A 13" MacBook Pro and a 13" MacBook Air are really equally as portable. We're really just talking a little bit of weight difference.;) And if you got a 13" MacBook Pro...you would have LOADS more internal storage!:)

With the MacBook Pro you have so much more flexibility:

- upgradeable ram (up to 16gig vs. 8gig for the MBA)
- upgradeable storage
- able to install two internal storage devices (or keep the CD/DVD drive installed).

FYI...the MacBook Air does not have an SSD inside...it has "flash storage".

Something to think about.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Well, the real question to ask yourself here is simply this: which files do I need access to ALL THE TIME?

For many people, their iTunes library primarily "lives" on their iPhone, so maybe you DON'T need to carry the whole iTunes library around on your notebook all the time -- syncing and stuff can be done with the cloud or when at home, so the iTunes library is a good candidate to "offload."

For some people, likewise the iPhoto Library. And Movies (in short, most media). This would save a lot of space on the boot drive of course, but it also makes your machine less fun when you're out and about! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
I just love the form factor of the Air so much. Perhaps it's not for me though. I'll have to go to the Apple store and play around with both of them. If paying a few more hundred dollars makes life much more easier, I suppose that would be worth it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um, what? Of course a MacBook Air has an SSD. What are you talking about here??

If you go to the Apple Store online...and check out the configuration pages for new notebooks...Apple always uses the terminology:

- "flash storage" for MacBook Airs and retina-MacBook Pro's (photo 1 below)
- SSD for "regular" 13" and 15" MacBook Pro's if upgrading from a rotational HD to an SSD (photo 2 below)

Photo 1:

32oPEHvIjW4Loiv2.medium

Photo 2:

mercury-6g-ssd-image.gif

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just love the form factor of the Air so much. Perhaps it's not for me though.

I'm really not trying to talk you out of purchasing a MBA.;)

But if you cannot bring all of your day to day necessary files with you (without an external HD)...then it sort of semi-defeats the purpose of the ultra portable/ulta-sleek MBA.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Regardless of the marketing-speak, they are all SSDs. Its not nice to confuse the newbs like that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Um, what? Of course a MacBook Air has an SSD. What are you talking about here??

I was just going to Google this one, but it confused me as well. The way I understand (understood?) SSD is a lighter, faster, version of HDD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Regardless of the marketing-speak, they are all SSDs. Its not nice to confuse the newbs like that.

Come on chas....

Nick's terminology is correct. Someone who is new should appreciate learning the difference. How many newb posts have you read that confuse hard drive space with system memory? Maybe we shouldn't correct those either?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Take it easy buddy! This is the terminology Apple uses.

We live in an "Apple World"...and if someone is looking to purchase a new computer from Apple...this is the terminology Apple uses on the configuration and specification pages. So I actually am being consistent and clear...with the terms Apple uses.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I feel like there's some kind of ritual I have to go through to become an official member.

Buy a Mac
Know the Mac Bible word for word
Submit hair sample for Macliness
Sip blood from the Holy Cup

Joking! Thanks for the replies and clearing it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you can afford it, go Thunderbolt externals. The speed increase (over ANY USB or Firewire) is worth the cost, for your usage.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just in case anyone comes across this thread and is having the same question, after tons of research I found this:

The Nifty MiniDrive by niftydrives — Kickstarter

It uses the Air's microSD slot for an external HD card. PERFECTION! The only drawback is the size, I think they only go up to 64GBs, but that's more than enough for what I need.

That particular one hasn't gone into production yet, but here's some similar options on Amazon with great reviews.

Amazon.com: The MiniDrive | microSD Adaptor | MacBook Air/Pro/Retina: Electronics

C

chas_m

Thanks very much for posting a follow-up, I'm sure that will help future readers of this thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.