Blu-Ray Drive stopped working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27' iMac Quad-Core i7 3.4 GHz processor w/ 16 GB RAM
So I originally had an LG External Blu-Ray drive that was about a year old that I used with my 2011 iMac until it died. I purchased a newer LG Blu-Ray drive, which worked fine initially when I hooked it up, but then my Mac stopped recognizing the drive was there entirely after I had it about 2 weeks. The drive still appears to be working and seems to be an issue with the computer recognizing that the drive is there.

Has anyone run into this issue with their mac not recognizing a drive that it previously did?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you tried a different USB port?
Can you see the drive in About at this Mac?
Is the drive itself not recognised or the disc? Anything change using a CD or DVD?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried blu-rays and DVDs and multiple USB Ports. The USB cable that it connects with seems to be proprietary so I can't try a new cable.
The drive does not show up in About this Mac

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds like the drive at fault.

Do you have another machine you can connect it to?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is looking like a drive failure now. I hooked it up to a Macbook Pro and still nothing. Then I hooked it up to my wife's Toshiba Laptop and windows gave me an error message saying the device reported problems and to contact the manufacturer.

Thanks for the troubleshooting advice

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.