Mail in Mountain Lion - fetching mail

Reaction score
I just got Mountain Lion on my new Pro 13/retina and notice that when Mail is fetching new mail, I no longer get that little "working" wheel to show which accounts are working. Nothing in preferences that I can see. Anyone know how to fix this?

C

chas_m

Press command-0 (zero) to get an activity monitor for Mail. It may show up BEHIND the main mail screen ... I moved mine off to the secondary monitor.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, Chas, that works - cool. Is there no way to have the little 'working' circles show up in the accounts as before in Lion?

OP
T
Reaction score
So, Chas, are you running Mtn Lion and notice the same thing? Or is it just mine....?

C

chas_m

DO NOT try to downgrade Mail unless you're willing to LOSE all your email and possibly wreck your system.

Yes, they took the spinning wheel thing out of Mountain Lion apparently. The activity monitor I pointed out earlier gives you FAR more information.

OP
T
Reaction score
I see. Thanks guys. I guess I'll live with it vs risk anything severe just to get the pinwheel back :0)) I also notice that my mail sounds don't always ping or punk. Crazy. I've come to expect perfection it seems. Even gotten attached to it! tsk tsk

Chas, I'm kinda glad it's not just me!

Craig, FYI Pacifist didn't find any installers for osx on the drive of my new mbp - and of course no disks any more - but it does offer to download one from online Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it'll come in handy later.

Reaction score
Well that's twice today I didn't notice what OS the OP was running. 2 for 2.
No, Pacifist won't install from the restore partition because it probably cant see it. And chas is correct, do not downgrade. I thought you just wanted a reinstall.

OP
T
Reaction score
No, I wasn't wanting to downgrade Mail. I thought the problem might just clear up with a re-install. Seems it's just the way Mail works in Mtn Lion.

Now I have a new question about how to access my hidden install partition with Pacifist? Not to do anything now, only to know how for future reference. Thanks!

C

chas_m

tillypup:

Have I mentioned that I don't know everything yet? I don't.

Something about your question struck me so I decided to do a little digging. They did indeed replace the spinning wheel in the ML version, but you don't need to use the command-zero feature I mentioned before.

There's a TEENY TINY little button down at the very bottom of the blue left-hand column in Mail that, if clicked, will pop up a smaller and simpler version of "Mail Activity" that should be much closer -- not exactly the same, but closer -- to what you want.

Mail-activity.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.