3D output to my home theater

Reaction score
Newbie question:

I have my 2011 27" iMac connected to my AV receiver (DVI to HDMI) and I just replaced my big screen with a 3D capable screen. I can easily get 3D from my Blu Ray player both from disks and YouTube (through the BD's internal browser) but I can't get the same YouTube video to play 3D when I output it from my iMac. The video seems to come through as a Red/Cyan type of 3D. It's also not triggering the 3D sensor on the TV (which tells me to put on my 3D glasses). Any ideas? I hate using the lame browser of the BluRay player to look at online 3D material.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Bruce

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's a lot of chit chat about the Mac Mini and iMac being able to output a 1:4 signal required for 3D via HDMI. The Apple Discussions forum seems to say yes and no. Some say you need an adapter, others say it will work without the adapter. I suggest giving Apple a call or visit your local genius bar if there's a store nearby and ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.