Desktop folders and folders in folders re performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro early 2011, Sierra, 16G ram, 500G SSD boot, 500G 7200 RPM
I have read that having a lot of files and folders on the desktop is burdensome to system performance. If I have fifty folders and files on the desktop, and put them all into one folder on the desktop, is the drain on the system exactly the same? I would like to do something like that, but is it six of one, half dozen of the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't think so. (answering the last question you asked)

I believe that the Desktop will take longer to refresh the more Icons you have on it.

C

chas_m

toMACsh is sadly incorrect. It is the same. The Desktop refreshing EVERYTHING on it, all the way into sub-folders.

The solution to this, luckily, is dead easy. Move the stuff off the desktop! You can make an ALIAS of your folder(s) and put THAT on the desktop if you like, that won't affect speed.

You can also put that folder or folders away somewhere on your disk (say Documents) then drag it to the Dock and it will be right there. I right-click and change the display to suit my tastes but I have one-click access to everything I need that way, without clutter or slowdown.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.