Onyx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)
I just read about onyx here on the forum. I got a new imac and used time machine to move the files to the new machine. It also moved Onyx for me. It is for Snow Leopard and the new machine is Mountain lion (I think)(ver 10.8.2). Should I uninstall the old Onyx and download the version for Mountain Lion? Seems that the answer should be yes, but checking before I delete anything from the new iMac.

As usual...thanks for your time and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You are correct. Get rid of the old and download the download the new and you will be right to go.

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked for an uninstaller in the apps file for Onyx and didn't find anything there. Looked in preferences and nothing there either. Is this one of the occasions where you just drag it to the waste paper basket??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
When OnyX is open, go to the OnyX menu (top left hand corner of the screen) and select "Uninstall OnyX..." That should do it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Any problem with using Sophos and OnyX on the same machine? I've got a 13" MBP 2012 w/Mountain Lion. Currently using Sophos on it. Think of adding OnyX as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It won't open. It says "Onyx will not work with this version of osx).

Any other ideas on how to uninstall it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just drag it to the trash. First download AppTrap and install. it will sit in your System Preferences>Other area so goto Syatem Preferences and look for Apptrap down the bottom, click on it and make sure you Activate it. Then drag Oynx to the Trash and AppTrap will do the rest by moving any System Files and other files associated with Oynx to the trash with it.

Cheers

C

chas_m

AliOop: I would uninstall Sophos. There is no need for it and it has been known to cause performance issues. Be sure to do so following the manufacturer's directions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Onyx is a maintenance app, not an anti-virus app. So, there are no issues in running both...

As long as the AV itself does not cause issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've also read that any third party uninstaller will not completely clean out all files associated with every app you use one on. Maybe it will do so for some apps, but maybe not. The best way to uninstall something, as I've read, is manual deletion. Now, that may mean running the app's own uninstaller first, then finding the stray files and deleting them. I'm not the expert; I'm just repeating what I've read.

Reaction score
I tried the Onyx thing but it's asking for my admin password.

What password? I have no stinkin' password, and don't want one either, yet it seems that program won't run unless I create one?

Well don't then. Pft.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried the Onyx thing but it's asking for my admin password.

What password? I have no stinkin' password, and don't want one either, yet it seems that program won't run unless I create one?

Well don't then. Pft.

Your computer is probably asking for a password because you're trying to install a new application. This is a measure to insure someone does not install any unauthorized apps.

If you don't have a password setup...then leave the password box blank...and just hit or click enter.

- Nick

Reaction score
I did that but it said I need to set up a password to use it.

On the same theme, just tried buying an app from the app store, and it asked for my Apple ID and user. Well it's the same as the one of the computer I'm using, isn't it? Why not just remember me, with the 'keychain' thing?

Anyway, tried entering it, it claims I got it wrong, twice, and now I have to reset the thing? I just can't be bothered with all this.. Is it the same password as iTunes? I'd presume so but I bought stuff from iTunes recently, was logged in earlier today, so what the heck?

This thing is ^^$#@# me off already...

Reaction score
Great, so I jump through the hoops to reset my password - and now it says "The password specified has been used within the past year. Please select another".

So the password I entered WAS right then, wasn't it?

FFS...

Is this sort of thing normal with a Mac? Just tell you your password's wrong, for no reason? Is that some sort of security thing?

:eek:?

This kind of crap (can we swear on here? Are we grown-ups?) is exactly why I don't LIKE unnecessary passwords..

Great, now my 'session has timed out'.. I can understand why Macs have great security. Because if something is annoying you to the point you can't be asked to use it, then it should be pretty secure, right?

Saved me some money too, as I can't be bothered to buy that software now, or anything else for this. I already have it (GreatPhotos) on my PC anyway. Can't be bothered if I have to keep jumping through such hoops.

PFT!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did that but it said I need to set up a password to use it.

On the same theme, just tried buying an app from the app store, and it asked for my Apple ID and user. Well it's the same as the one of the computer I'm using, isn't it? Why not just remember me, with the 'keychain' thing?

Anyway, tried entering it, it claims I got it wrong, twice, and now I have to reset the thing? I just can't be bothered with all this.. Is it the same password as iTunes? I'd presume so but I bought stuff from iTunes recently, was logged in earlier today, so what the heck?

Great, so I jump through the hoops to reset my password - and now it says "The password specified has been used within the past year. Please select another".

So the password I entered WAS right then, wasn't it?

Is this sort of thing normal with a Mac? Just tell you your password's wrong, for no reason? Is that some sort of security thing?

This kind of crap (can we swear on here? Are we grown-ups?) is exactly why I don't LIKE unnecessary passwords..

Great, now my 'session has timed out'.. I can understand why Macs have great security. Because if something is annoying you to the point you can't be asked to use it, then it should be pretty secure, right?

Saved me some money too, as I can't be bothered to buy that software now, or anything else for this. I already have it (GreatPhotos) on my PC anyway. Can't be bothered if I have to keep jumping through such hoops.

To be honest...your issues have expanded well beyond the topic of this thread. Instead of cluttering up this thread...why not start a new thread...so everyone can focus on your issues. This will help you get answers & get them more quickly.

Also...don't forget to try the Mac-Forums search function. Issues/confusion with Apple ID's do get asked & answered frequently...so the answer may already be sitting in a previous thread.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, just getting frustrated with this thing. I have managed to "reset" my password, and am now having to go through my phone, 2 main PCs, netbook and my wife's laptop, updating Roboform and Lastpassc - for no particular reason, as it was the right password anyway!!

:(

M

MacInWin

Apple is super-sensitive to password security. The App store was used to gain access to a news reporter's ipad and iPhone last year, the saga of which he later published widely. Apple responded by only allowing two failed attempts at the password before forcing a reset, which is what you ran into. You may have thought you entered it properly, but it apparently was not exactly right (Caps Lock key, double key hits, etc, can cause problems). When you reset, you tried the same password, which Apple also blocks as a result of that same incident. That time you typed it correctly!

The Onyx application is looking for the password you use to log into your account, assuming you set your own account up as an administrator. Look in System Preferences, Users & Groups to see if your account has admin rights. If not, you'll need to either log in to an administrator account to run Onyx, or make your account an administrator. Onyx needs that authority to do what it does, and to protect you from the possibility that someone could use Onyx on your machine to do malicious changes. Onyx is pretty powerful, so I'm ok with that caution on their part. If you set up your account as administrator with no password (not a very secure way to operate) Onyx should accept a null password.

Your iTunes account should be the same loginID and password as at the App Store, if you set it up that way. If you created a new account at the App Store, then they will be different. iTunes App store and the OSX App Store are two different stores but can share an AppleID if you want to.

On the original problem, just drag the old Onyx to the trash to delete it and install the new. Any files it leaves behind are so small that you don't need to worry about them taking up space and they won't impact the new installation at all.

Reaction score
If I did enter it wrong it's probably because I was typing with my fist the first time. However the 2nd time I was real careful. 1 finger at a time? Mpf.

C

chas_m

If you don't have an administrative password on your account, you are BEGGING to get malware and security issues.

Your Apple ID (and it's already been explained to you that you don't have to use the Mac App Store if you don't want to, but it's very convenient) should not be the same as your admin password. Mac App Store usernames are tied to email addresses, so unless your admin password is too, they can't really be the same.

And yes, this extra security is one of the reasons why we don't have any viruses, or need anti-virus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.