ITunes Help

Reaction score
I have been trying to clean up my albums in iTunes and find that a few of them seem to have "orphan" tracks that show up as a separate albums. IF I select the "part of compilation" checkbox, some of these disappear and the track becomes part of the album, but some just don't and I'm mystified as to why.

What is the best way to get them to be incorporated into the album? I've tried "consolidate" tracks but that doesn't seem to have any affect (at the front end anyhow)

Any help welcome!!

PS should have mentioned I have iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo running OS 10.8.2 and iTunes 11.0.2

Came across this link and tried it http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/224769-compilation-albums-itunes.html

Extra album has the nice album picture but I still have two albums

OP
W
Reaction score
fixed it!

well I read down that thread a little more and kept fiddling around and eventually got them all together

Seems you need to tick compilation on each "album" version to get them to roll in to one.

But lot of mucking around with artists names and stuff as well. Not up to apple's usual intuitive approach - I would have expected to just drag one album or song onto another to combine them ...

C

chas_m

That's because you're doing it wrong. You've found a workaround, but not the right fix.

What you actually want to do is to select all the tracks from the album, press command-i (get info in iTunes under the File menu) and put the exact same artist in the "Artist" field. The problem you describe usually comes about because the artist name or album name is slightly different (The Talking Heads vs. Talking Heads, for example).

Editing the info tags in a batch eliminates this issue. You'll notice there is also a tag for "Album Artist." This should be filled in too, particularly if you have, let's say, an album by The Pet Shop Boys, but one track is credited to The Pet Shop Boys with Dusty Springfield for example. Having PSB in the Album Artist field will keep those tracks together even though the one with Dusty Springfield has a "different" artist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.