"Notes" application keeps making new notes in the sidebar?

Reaction score
Hey, so whenever I edit my old notes (using the "Notes" programs that came with my macbook) the application makes multiple new saves of the note in my sidebar. This fills up my sidebar very quickly and is annoying, but I can't figure out how to stop it. The Notes application doesn't have a "preferences" panel.

Anyone know how I can stop "Notes" from doing this?

if so, thanks a ton!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dont take it as gospel but im sure it has to do with how and what you have syncing with iCloud. Check on how and what you have iCloud set up.
I did have this problem but recently did a complete fresh reinstall of OS X and only have the one account syncing with iCloud now and now i only get the 1 entry. As for a certain fix ?? But check all your iCloud and account settings on all you devices

Reaction score
I keep having the same problem - when I type anything in a newly created Note, the program starts saving copies to the sidebar. After a couple of minutes there are ten notes, each one with progressively more information than the last.

I don't have iCloud enabled, and am not currently syncing with any other device.

Any ideas how to stop this?

Reaction score
So I had exactly the same problem and what seemed to help was to set my default account (Notes->Default Account) to "On My Mac" instead of "Gmail".....don't know why this would make a difference but it did!...no more gazillion useless notes in my sidebar..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.