Can't back up videos in iPhoto or move them to new computer, help!!

Reaction score
Alright, I'm very frustrated right now. I looked up on google other people having a similar problem and I did the steps that they recommended and it's still not working.

Essentially, I bought a new faster mac mini and I'm trying to move all of my current photos and videos onto the new computer and also create a backup (these photos and videos are irreplaceable). All of the videos were taken with iPhone 4s's and the new 5 so there should be no compatibility problems. First it was complicated trying to move them because I didn't realize I had to export my photo library, I was trying to find the individual files to move over to external hard drive and other computer. I ended up getting the photos over to the other computer but the videos didn't work because it says "unrecognizable format, error, etc".

When I find the original files or move them on the mac and I play them they are just black and the time scrolls with no video or audio, but when I play them in iphoto they work just fine. As soon as I try to move them over they don't work. I tried external hard drives, usb drives, and even airdrop to move over the files and when I try to put them into the new computer or play them outside of the original iphoto it says the same error messages. Some people recommended starting new photo library and I did all the same steps and still won't work.

Someone please help, this is beyond frustrating and I've been die hard mac for many years. The whole mac just works thing is starting to sound like a joke.

Thanks for the help!

C

chas_m

1. Use Time Machine to make a backup of your old machine.
2. Restore to your new machine from the Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant, which you'll see as soon as you turn on your new Mac.

That's it. Time Machine backs up everything, but will not overwrite the newer system or apps on your new machine. It will bring over all your videos and photos, exactly as they are in iPhoto now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll add one bit of advice to what chas stated.... Do not create an account on the new Mac before doing the migration. (Migration will carry your old account over to the new Mac.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Time machine and migration is the way to go but if for some reason you can't do that you need to just copy the entire iPhoto library en masse to the new mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.