iCloud help

Reaction score
I am trying to find out how to open a database created on my MacBook Air on my iPhone using iCloud. Can't find any directions. Please help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're going to need to be more specific. What kind of database are you trying to open?

One thing to note about iCloud - it's designed to be a syncing service more than anything (bookmarks, files, email, calendar, etc) and not necessarily a file storage service. From the sounds of it, you've uploaded a database to it somewhere and are trying to view it outside of iCloud's normal methods of operation.

OP
M
Reaction score
iCloud

I downloaded a database program (Readerware) to catalog my library. I'd like to be able to open that on my iPhone when I'm in a bookstore or at a book sale to see if I already own the book. Is that possible with iCloud?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not likely unless they've built in iCloud support. However, something like this is possible if you can export your database into a more neutral or "friendly" format. Can you export the database? If so, what formats are you able to export to?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It took a bit of poking around their website but I may have found the solution. The program exports to some iPods but not the Touch and presumably not the iPad or iPhone directly. Have a look at the workaround shown here.

My thinking is that the html file discussed on this page could be uploaded to iCloud. From there it should be possible to open the file just as you would a web page. If that does not work look a bit farther down the page. There is a specific tip for iPhone users.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know if that works out. That looks like an interesting program. I've thought about setting up something similar. I was going to do it with something that produced a tab delimited database but most of the stuff I looked at did not have barcode support. At the time I was using a Palm IIIC or Centro.

C

chas_m

I'm using Delicious Library for much the same purpose (record and movie collector here). It has a portable version that syncs to the desktop version, so I always have my list of stuff with me.

I've always liked the folks behind the Readerware series, but the lack of a portable version has been a deal-killer for me for years.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I started looking at Delicious Library a while ago but never really got around to implementing it. I don't do quite as much purchasing of books, video etc. as I used to so this has been a low priority for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.