• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Certification Questions/Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro9,2 - Intel Core i7 2.9GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3 Memory, 750GB SATA HDD.
Hello,

I have a few questions which I hope some Certified Apple members can answer - If you're not Apple Certified and still know the answer please still answer.

Please don't just refer me to the training.apple.com or certification link :p - I have had a good read on there.

My questions are:

1.) I read that the Associate, ACSP, ACTC are certifications per version of OS ie ACSP for OS X 10.8 etc. Would I have to do a full exam every year to renew or is there an upgrade exam or 'differences between OSX' revision material?
- Do I really have to buy expensive books each year or are there other methods?

2.) If I started with the Integrations material for 10.8 (which is a free PDF) and then take the exam to gain 'Associate status' will I have to do the same later for 10.9 or could I do 10.8 integrations (for Associate) and then do 10.9 for ACSP? In other words can you do anything higher to get re-certified? (Cisco works like this).

3.) Do you think now would be a good time to do the 10.8 integrations or would you say 10.9 will be released soon and due to re-reading and getting re-certified it would be a waist and just worth waiting to do the 10.9 one?

Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated as I cannot find the answers to these on the Apple website.

Thank you. :)

OP
~Luke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro9,2 - Intel Core i7 2.9GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3 Memory, 750GB SATA HDD.
Surely someone knows? Or has an idea?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are a few members here who've worked at Apple stores and were Apple geniuses, apart from that, not sure who is a Apple Certified person..so not sure you'll get an immediate response to very specific questions about the certification process, especially if it isn't readily available on Apple.com

The only thing I can is that Apple has kinda switched to a faster yearly release cycle for OS X with the idea being a major release one year followed by a minor release the following year before another major release.

So Leopard (major, 2007), Snow Leopard (minor, 2009), Lion (major, 2011), Mountain Lion (minor, 2012)..so the next version 10.9 (whatever it is going to be codenamed) will be this year and likely a major release..as to specifically WHEN 10.9 is going to come out is anyones guess..have to wait for the WWDC or some other Apple conference to get that info..

Reaction score
Regarding Apple Certification Questions

Hello,

I have a few questions which I hope some Certified Apple members can answer - If you're not Apple Certified and still know the answer please still answer.

Please don't just refer me to the training.apple.com or certification link :p - I have had a good read on there.

My questions are:

1.) I read that the Associate, ACSP, ACTC are certifications per version of OS ie ACSP for OS X 10.8 etc. Would I have to do a full exam every year to renew or is there an upgrade exam or 'differences between OSX' revision material?
- Do I really have to buy expensive books each year or are there other methods?

2.) If I started with the Integrations material for 10.8 (which is a free PDF) and then take the exam to gain 'Associate status' will I have to do the same later for 10.9 or could I do 10.8 integrations (for Associate) and then do 10.9 for ACSP? In other words can you do anything higher to get re-certified? (Cisco works like this).

3.) Do you think now would be a good time to do the 10.8 integrations or would you say 10.9 will be released soon and due to re-reading and getting re-certified it would be a waist and just worth waiting to do the 10.9 one?

Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated as I cannot find the answers to these on the Apple website.

Thank you. :)

Hi, Luke:

I'm Apple certified (Associate: Integration & Management 10.8, ACSP 10.8, ACTC 10.8, ACMT 2013 (yep, that's 10.8 also)).

Briefly:

(1) You'll take a full exam to qualify at a level once, then a recertification exam as a newer version of the OS comes out -- which is just about as long. Books, webinars, geeky friend -- all work well. Don't buy books new if possible, but books are always good for reference. Sometimes ebook versions are available, and are substantially cheaper (though the DRM is a pain when transferring between your computer and tablet/reader).

(2) Every version has its own test, and is specific to that version. Higher certifications will "refresh" lower certifications, but only in a specific track. ACSP/ACTC/ACSA is one track, ApplePro certs are a different track, Mac Associate is a different track, etc.

(3) Me? I do every test as it becomes available (but then, I make Sheldon (BBT) look well-socialized). Take whatever's current. Yes, it will change. No, it will not change as soon as we hope it will.

Meandering version:

Apple Repair Track (ACMT):
If you are certified in the Apple technician track, you take two tests. One, the hardware test, is yearly, approximately at the same time each year as when you first qualified. The second, the OS, you'll take every time there's a new OS released. This may or may not be yearly -- with 10.6, there was no newer OS version to test on for a two year period. The newer version OS might be around a while in actual use before authorized tests are released for that version.

Mac Associate certifications (Integration, Management):
The Associate level certifications are separate from the ACSP/ACTC/ACSA track, and only apply to and are only affected by those specific tests. If you have an Associate cert (e.g., a certified Mac Associate Integration 10.6), and you obtain the ACSP 10.7, your Associate certification remains unchanged and is not "upgraded" to 10.7.

Apple OS certifications (ACSP/ACTC/ACSA):
With the OS track (MIS, ACSP, etc.), you'll take your test for whatever the current OS might be, and retake it for the new one when it's available. Apple only officially recognizes and supports the current version of OS, plus one version back. For instance, I've been a Mac Tech since 2005, but only have the most recent two OS versions listed on the Apple site (10.7 and 10.8 certifications). The certification for a particular version is specific to that version. If you certify as an ACSP for 10.5, you'll always be certified at that level for that version of the OS.

Once you obtain an ACTC at one OS version, you have the option of taking one test to recertify your ACTC at the next adjacent OS. From that single recertification test, your ACSP will also be "refreshed" to that new OS. One caveat is that you *must* take the recertification test within the indicated period of time, else, you are back on the individual tests track again.

If you want, you can take both tests again with a new OS, rather than one test for the ACTC level.

Sometimes, people achieve an ACSP in one OS, and the next OS becomes available. During this transition time, you can progress in either OS for a certification, but I do not know if you can "jump" OS versions (ACSP in one, and an ACTC in the newer). Apple might allow this, though, within a certain time period. I didn't specifically experience this, though. I've always immediately taken every test in a version as it's available. If it happens to you, you probably have something like a 90-day window.

Does that make sense?

If you take any of the ACTC follow-on specializations (Mobility, Security, Directory), your "general" ACTC (and ACSP, as well) is upgraded (again, similar to Cisco with the current CCNA specializations, though that will probably change September 2013).
If you take all three of the ACTC courses, you can then qualify for the ACSA certification.

While almost every version of OS X has common elements, every version has enough things that are different (and some are wildly different), that it makes reasonable sense to try to know as many versions as you can. The tests typically will cover the current version of OS, plus questions from the previous version, and even *might* ask about earlier versions. For example, 10.8 tests asked about 10.7 and 10.6 differences and compatibility, where 10.6 tests asked about 10.5, 10.4, 10.3, and even one or two questions from 10.2.

Two more things:

I know that it is very difficult to get clear answers about the certification path(s) from Apple; I ran into that for many years, and still find that different groups at Apple have differing opinions on how the certifications work. Some of the opinions are partially correct, and some are just flat wrong. Someone being at Apple doesn't guarantee accuracy, unfortunately.

The second thing is that while you can probably just read a book and pass the test, you're really robbing yourself of the opportunity to learn the subject in depth. If at all possible, play with the hardware. The actual items will teach you a number of things that either are much clearer than as explained in the book, or don't exist at all in the book(s). As with Cisco, where the simulators don't do everything the real thing does (though they are great for practicing for the test simulators!).

Does this help? Let me know -- thanks!

OP
~Luke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all... Oops! I left this for so long and forgot to check back as I didn't think anyone was going to answer.

Those posts above (especially the last one) have really helped - thank you both so much!

I'm wondering whether to go down the ACSP to ACTC/ACSA route or whether to go for ACMT.

Is it worthwhile doing both?
Is there a way to easily certify for both or do you just do each separately? I think you mentioned the ACMT covers the OS too but is that just ACSP level (do you get that cert) or is it that you just get the ACMT only on completion?

With the ACMT could you start you own apple repair business?

Likewise with ACSP/ACTC/ACSA can you start your own apple support business?

If anyone knows any of the above please respond, even if it's what you think.

All appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm wondering whether to go down the ACSP to ACTC/ACSA route or whether to go for ACMT.
Is it worthwhile doing both?
Is there a way to easily certify for both or do you just do each separately? I think you mentioned the ACMT covers the OS too but is that just ACSP level (do you get that cert) or is it that you just get the ACMT only on completion?

Hi, Luke:

I know it all doesn't seem very clear; Apple is trying to make each certification have enough information over a broad enough area to confirm that each cert is actually useful, which is really smart... but it also means that there's a lot of overlap, and many aspects of each certification will seem to actually cover other certification tracks. The authorized syllabus/books/training material is a great guide to what's what. Peachpit publishes the official Apple stuff; they constantly have sales and bundles and deals. I mean, who doesn't like to curl up with a 1200 page book (or two) filled with acronyms and a nice glass of Merlot, or a cold IPA? Okay, everybody, put your hands down!

I would strongly suggest doing all of them.

The "Mac Associate" track is a less-detailed version of the ACSP>ACTC>ACSA track; with the Mac Integration being a condensed version of the ACSP (pertaining to more to individual Macs), and the Mac Management having the same relationship to the ACTC. You could consider the Associate certifications as a great way to see how you like Apple certifications -- at the price, they're an inexpensive way to start. Remember, however, that the Mac Associate track, though related subject-wise to the more challenging Support and Tech Coordinator certifications, are separate from them. You won't get any of the Mac Associate certs by taking the ACSP or ACTC certification tests, nor will you gain any direct credit toward the ACSP or ACTC by taking all of the Mac Associate certifications. They are even under different tracks in the testing area (some are under the umbrella of "AppleCare", and the others, "Apple OS").

With the ACMT could you start you own apple repair business?
Likewise with ACSP/ACTC/ACSA can you start your own apple support business?

You can do Apple support or repair without any certifications, but you would be at a disadvantage. Achieving an ACMT confirms that you actually know something about Macs (like the name of that thingamajig, or what the whatchamacallit does when the whoozit fails), but doesn't automatically qualify you with Apple to do warranty-authorized repairs. Apple requires that Authorized Service Providers (ASP) at whatever level also qualify as actual businesses; they must have certain mandatory minimum repair areas of a particular size, have a particular type and size of customer waiting area, etc.-- and have an ACMT on staff (which could be you). Apple tries very hard to confirm that a business isn't "fly-by-night", a "hole-in-the-wall", or that it ignores elements and behaviors that Apple has identified as supporting and promoting good customer service. It can take a fair amount of time and can be a bit frustrating, but it's overall pretty fun.

No, I don't work for Apple, nor do I agree with everything they do, but the vast majority of the requirements (other than technical knowledge) do make a great deal of sense for any business.

When you achieve an ACMT (and actually work well with Macs -- or technical items), you become a desirable asset to any existing ASP, or for a large enough business wanting to qualify as an ASP, whether for walk-in repairs, or to support their fleet of internally-deployed Macs (like a college or business). You can do Apple support with any of these certifications, though, as I'd mentioned, doing Apple-authorized repairs involves additional aspects. Regardless of your certification level, though, your reputation would be based on your business practices and customer relational-behaviors, like everything else in the business universe.

If you'd like a suggested order to approach the certifications:
- Mac Integration, Management (~70- 100 pages each)
- ACSP (~670 pages)
- ACMT (~1200+ pages -- split between OS (430 pages) and hardware-specific subjects (680 pages)
- ACTC (~600+ pages)

The ACSA certification path is a bit unclear to me. Apple certification personnel I've spoken with have indicated that, should you do all three of the ACTC specialties, an ACSA would be awarded, but I've been having a bit of a challenge to actually locate the specific test names/numbers. My assessment that doing all three ACTC specialties (required for the ACSA) would cover a *lot* more material than the original base ACTC does (~2000 pages), so it shouldn't be taken lightly -- but again, while there's a fair amount of repetition and overlapping of subjects. Don't let the raw number of pages put you off, though. In addition, I would strongly suggest adding in other networking or OS training/experience -- at a certain point, all of them overlap to some degree, and no study is ever really wasted if you enjoy the field. I do general platform and mobile programming, wireless and wired network, media transport design, etc., and they all relate in both obvious and sometimes surprising ways.

But YMMV -- this is all my own opinion and direct experience, and I represent no one other than myself.

In any case: study hard, play with the hardware, help everyone you can, and most of all, enjoy it. Good luck with whatever you decide -- your efforts *will* reward you!

OP
~Luke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for the detailed reply.

I currently have the Apple Certified Associate: 10.9 integrations.

I thought this had to be done first before the ACSP but it is not a waste. I think I might wait until 10.10 Yosemite comes out (or at least the training material) and study for the ACSP fast then with any luck move on to the ACTC and carry on until ACSA in the same year cycle before the later OS X 10.11. I don't think I'd be able to do the ACMT until a little while after the rest (surely not the same year cycle). If anything it would be difficult to learn the further modules of ACTC (to gain the ACSA). I guess whatever is not complete able before the next OS can just be done again under that OS ie 10.10 ACTC if unfinished I could do ACTC 10.11 and continue.

I would love to get to the point like yourself where one exam (ACSA) refreshes all of your previous certs (ACSP/ACTC etc).

Going back to the starting your own Apple Mac/iPhone support company (non hardware) would this be breaking Apples rules? What about if it was hardware? With the qualifications you would be qualified etc but not authorised for cheaper parts or to become a centre? With the non-hardware side this would be easier/doable right?

Also are you from the UK.

I'm in the UK so don't know many ASP's or ATC's to try and get jobs :(

OP
~Luke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone also know if you are allowed to purchase broken apple hardware and fix it (with or without a ACMT qualification - I know you could just do it on the side but was wondering if apple is against it.

I wanted to buy faulty items and fix them in the side of my job. Does anyone do this? Is it worth it?

Thanks,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I know you could just do it on the side but was wondering if apple is against it.

In what way do you think Apple would be against it? I know lots & lots of folks who purchase non-working Apple computers…fix them. Then they use them for their own use…or sell them. I've done this a number of time myself.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Luke, as Nick says, anyone can buy, sell or repair Apple computers providing they have the knowledge. What you can't do is obtain spares from Apple or service warranty products, or claim to be Apple qualified to undertake those repairs, or use Apple's trademarks in your advertising. Without access to Apple's spares shipped overnight you can't undertake fast repairs that everyone wants, or be competitive. Spares from the likes of VIS are far more expensive than from Apple. Back in 2013 in this thread Electronik fairly answered your question then, that there is far more to being an AASP than being ACMT qualified. Additionally to what was said then, Apple audit the accounts of the prospective service provider looking for stability and a sound financial footing. It is the company, not the ACMT qualified technician that is the AASP. If you are seeking Apple related employment try signing on with Amsys.

Last edited:
OP
~Luke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for the replies.

You can't even say you're apple qualified? I understand saying not authorised by Apple. If you work for a cert I think you should be allowed to state it.

It seems that the path has no meaning/worth unless you actually know an AASP.
I know the experience and knowledge of it would be good.

Just wondering if anyone here fixes up faulty Apple devices or buys spares and repairs from eBay and repair them,

Can you make much money doing this or does the price of the parts to repair etc mean no real profit in your experience?
I'm not looking to do a business, just earn some extra cash with a project every now and again.

Any tips? Or opinions on what's best to repair etc?

Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just wondering if anyone here fixes up faulty Apple devices or buys spares and repairs from eBay and repair them...

Can you make much money doing this or does the price of the parts to repair etc mean no real profit in your experience?
I'm not looking to do a business, just earn some extra cash with a project every now and again.

I've known (or come across in my daily travels) a number of folks that have done this or are doing it. It can be a real gamble purchasing a completely non-working computer…especially via eBay. Some eBay sellers can be total computer novices…and may not describe the problem well (so you may not 100% know what you're going to get). And some eBay sellers may be real experts (definitely know what they're doing). They tried to fix a broken computer (but couldn't or too expensive). So they're "unloading" the computer on eBay (trying to recoup their investment)…BUT…they may "play dumb" as to what's really wrong with it. They may say…"Not sure what's wrong with it…it won't turn on." When they REALLY know…the logic board is dead ($$$)! Of course if a non-working computer can be picked up on eBay for a fantastic price (even if the logic board is dead). It could still be a great parts computer.

What I'm trying to say is. Purchasing a partially working or non-working computer via eBay can be risky (unless the price is right). Purchasing a partially working or non-working computer locally (a computer you can touch, examine, and see before purchasing)…is a much better route (less risky).

Also. Because of the cost of parts…AND because there are actually not that many parts in many Apple computers. If the computer is not working…many times the logic board is bad (fried, water damaged, abused, etc.). And replacement logic boards (even used) are just too expensive. If the computer has a display issue (iMac's or laptops)…and the display panel needs replacing. This can be expensive too. The only way these expensive repairs are sometimes worthwhile…is if someone has a busted newer computer (say 2-3 years old and no remaining Applecare)…where the 100% working value is still pretty high…AND…if you can purchase it at a terrific price. And with the newer retina display computers…repairing a display problem is much more difficult than it used to be (but if willing to do it)…could be profitable.

As an example…say someone has a non-working 3 year-old 13" MacBook Pro. Maybe it was purchased for $1299…and now worth $750. If it has a dead logic board (maybe $400 used)…then this computer needs to be purchased for less then $350 to make any profit. Of course someone who paid $1299 for a computer 3 years ago may not feel that $350 is a fair price for their dead computer. Which simply means you may have to walk away…if they will not budge or be reasonable.

Of course if the computer is even older (and worth less)…but the replacement logic board still costs $400…then the computer needs to be purchased for even less (to make any money on the repair).

The bottom line is. It's not easy making money fixing partially working or non-working Apple computers (buying them via eBay, fixing them, then selling them). The cost of parts is high. One way it can work is…you need to build a "personal stash" of parts (which you accumulate over time at a very low cost)…with the hopes that one day you will need them.

Occasionally you can come across a computer locally (working or not working) being sold at a very good price…which can be repaired easily or cheaply. But these can be rare. You really need to have great knowledge of used computer prices…and you need to have a good idea of repair parts costs. AND you need to purchase the computer before someone else does (who may want the computer for their own use…or to repair & sell it)…just like you're wanting to do!;) Basically for these sort of deals to be seen with any regularity…you usually need to live in a large town/city…and be able to meet with the seller within a very short time of the computer being posted for sale to have a shot at getting it.

There are folks that do this for a living (it's actually the way they make their money to pay the bills). And they're sitting on their computer all the time/all day hitting the refresh button while on Craig's List. As soon as a great deal is posted…they call the seller…meet with the seller…and BAMM the computer is sold & the posting deleted from Craig's List before "regular folks" even see the posting (maybe in less than 30 minutes). Then the new owner (the Pro)…may fix the computer if not working…or just "flip it" (by increasing the price closer to its actual used value).

Repairing broken Apple computers (purchased via eBay) is a difficult way to make extra cash. There are just too many other folks out there trying to do the same thing. When it does happen…you're just lucky!;)

- Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.