Trouble with a iMac G5 (2006) model

Reaction score
Greetings:

Today I picked up a iMAC G5 17" manufactured in 2006, for use in my Amateur Radio Station for operating Digital Modes. The operating system is Version 10.4.11. I have discovered that it is behaving strangely, I have no Right Click on the Mouse, when I do, the screen is covered with a light blue cover, right clicking again restores it back to normal. I have two other Apple Computers a Mac Pro circa 2007 and a iMac 24" circa 2009. I am quite pleased with those Computers and understand their operating requirements quite well, so using a Mouse that does not behave the same is very abnormal.

This 17" iMac puzzles me, when I go into the System Preference Panel I notice that there are no options for a scrolling wheel on the Mouse and no settings for right click. When I try and right click on the drives to view their details I get nothing. The same is true for right clicking on the desktop to make a new folder, no activity from Right Click like for cutting and pasting works either. I do notice that when I right click the viewing panel on the Monitor reduces in size and when I right click again the panel returns to normal size and expands to the outer edges of the Monitor.

I am so used to the other Computers behavior that this seems very strange and awkward when the Mouse will not do what is so normal with the other machines.

Advice, suggestions or solutions... will be most appreciated.

Regards,

Don

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you have the admin password for that machine I would try setting up a new fresh admin user and configure the settings for the new User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
And if a new user doesn't resolve the issues, try a reinstall of the OS. You will need the original install set, or a retail version of the newer Leopard. The earlier G5 iMacs suffered from failing electrolytics, but yours from 2006 should a more reliable iSight model. Hope you resolve it. Re digital modes, Fldigi works well on my Macs for PSK31 and RTTY.

OP
AFMRPCUSER
Reaction score
And if a new user doesn't resolve the issues, try a reinstall of the OS. You will need the original install set, or a retail version of the newer Leopard. The earlier G5 iMacs suffered from failing electrolytics, but yours from 2006 should a more reliable iSight model. Hope you resolve it. Re digital modes, Fldigi works well on my Macs for PSK31 and RTTY.

Greetings & TNX 4 the Reply.

I am suffering from buyer remorse... I thought this older model was a good buy at $200.00 but now I believe it may wind up in the Living Room for lookups when watching TV etc. We are probably going to install Leopard we purchased it and installed it into the Mac Pro and the 24" iMac we use. I thought it would be nice in the Ham Shack as we now have more room in the console center for several radios. We have been using FLDIGI for quite sometime, running it on the 24" iMac. We operate on 40, 20, 15 & 10 PSK31 mostly. We are a former RTTY RAT from back in 69 when we got our first TTY machines a Model 15 & a 2B Strip Printer, We earned our first Ticket in 68. HIHI.

Thanks for your reply and the information. We will install the Leopard and see what the results will be.

73's

Don W6PJJ
:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi,

Before you do that, try a different mouse.
Also, what happens when you hold ctrl and click to simulate a right click?

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.