Removing Linux From G4 Mac Mini & Installing Leopard

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
My father installed some type of Linux thing on a G4 Mac Mini I had laying around a few months ago. Now that I need to use the Mac Mini myself, I can't because Linux is on there.

Does anybody know how to remove it without logging into it [Linux], and be able to stick my Leopard install disk in without a bunch of hassle?

I need to get this working soon, and I probably can't just stick Leopard in and boot into the disk (That would be too easy)

Anybody?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
...and I probably can't just stick Leopard in and boot into the disk (That would be too easy)

That's how you do it.

OP
Air

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Are you kidding me? -__-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
um - no.
As long as the OS X DVD is the right one for that mini, that's how you install OS X. Linux isn't like "magic."

OP
Air

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I thought it erased apple's "bootloader?" and replaced it with it's own and I would have to go through **** to fix it.

Thanks for help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought it erased apple's "bootloader?" and replaced it with it's own and I would have to go through **** to fix it.

Thanks for help!

Installing Linux does overwrite the Mac boot loader with GRUB. I suspect it's not going to be as simple as inserting your Leopard disk and booting with it to remove Linux. Let us know. If you have problems, we can try something else.

C

chas_m

Nope, gsahli is correct. Boot from the OS X DVD, wipe the drive, do a fresh install. That's it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have had several posts in the past where the OP stated they had installed Linux and where GRUB had overwritten the boot sector. The fix in those cases was not a "simple boot with an OS X disk and format the hard drive". As a matter of fact, the OS X boot disk in those cases did not work. So how can you positively say otherwise?

C

chas_m

Because booting from the OS X disc doesn't care what the hard drive is formatted as, nor does "erase disk" in Disk Utility as far as I'm aware. I've formatted Linux-formatted drives before, but it was a while ago and I don't recall what format the drives were.

But inasmuch as Disk Utility can format a *completely unformatted* drive, I should think (and yes, this is an assumption) it can format over any other formatting.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. As I stated above, we've had several members who could not restore their machine the way you suggest. A PRAM reset had to be accomplished first, then, usually your method will work. Anyway, since we haven't heard back from the OP, perhaps it worked for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
to the OP, Air -
Have you tried holding the Option key right after the startup gong sound? (with Install DVD in the Mac) This should give you an icon-based startup choices menu.
Is it possible you are using a wireless keyboard?

OP
Air

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I got Linux off, and everything to do with it. Boots up to the sad mac, but my KNOWN WORKING Leopard disk refuses to be read.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.