Photoshop 3 needed

Reaction score
Can anyone help please?

I have been trying to open some old pics on my Airbook (10.5.8) with Preview, but get the message 'Photoshop 3 is required to open this file'.

Unfortunately since these pics were taken in 2001, I've of course updated the OS and have lost my original copy of Photoshop 3.

Does anyone know how to open these pics into Jpeg format, or where I could buy a copy of Photoshop 3 deluxe from?

Many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does anyone know how to open these pics into Jpeg format, or where I could buy a copy of Photoshop 3 deluxe from?

I'm not sure why Preview won't open them? But if you're looking for a copy of Photoshop 3, check on eBay. Make sure you buy a copy that has a serial number which can be registered and activated and not a pirated copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
If the extension of the file is PSD then you will need to convert it. There are free converters as well as online converters. Google will help you find them and quite a bit cheaper then buying PS3.

Hope that helps ;)

C

chas_m

Another option: Pixelmator ($15 I think) on the Mac App Store will open Photoshop documents, as will Graphic Converter ($40, but free to try).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
+1 for both of those programs. Graphic Converter in particular seems to be able to convert from darn near anything to darn near anything. Hence the name.

C

chas_m

PS. Even if you found a copy of Photoshop Deluxe 3, your Mac couldn't run it. So that's a fruitless line to pursue IMO. Download a copy of GC and convert it.

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Preview won't open them? But if you're looking for a copy of Photoshop 3, check on eBay. Make sure you buy a copy that has a serial number which can be registered and activated and not a pirated copy.

Than you for trying to help I've had a search on for over 6 months now, but no luck except 'lightshop' 3 have showed. I think I know when I'm beaten...

OP
O
Reaction score
+1 for both of those programs. Graphic Converter in particular seems to be able to convert from darn near anything to darn near anything. Hence the name.

Fortunately I do have an early G4 mac still capable of running on either OS9 or OSX, so I thought I could open the photo's with that and convert them to JPG?

OP
O
Reaction score

Thanks for the message and I eventually got the free version to operate. Upon trying to open the image I wanted from the PSD filter menu I was advised that this was - "broken or not a graphic file".

Strange as their is a perfect Thumbnail image. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get a version of Photoshop 3 from somewhere and get my G4 to hopefully open the pic once the programme is loaded.

I've tried old software download sites but I'm unable to find the original Photoshop 3 anywhere, including Adobe.

Thank you all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
OP
O
Reaction score
Well here it is if you want it. Make sure the previous owner has deactivated their computer from the serial number. If not, you should be able to contact Adobe and have them register it to your machine.

Adobe Photoshop 3.0 Full version for Macintosh on eBay!

Thank you for trying to help me. Unfortunately when I tried to contact the seller to see if they would post to the UK, Ebay advised;

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

So no joy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just a thought but I'd could be that the file is damaged.

I don't know if the is private or confidential or not but I'd be happy to convert it to another format or at least try should that be any use to you

OP
O
Reaction score
Just a thought but I'd could be that the file is damaged.

I don't know if the is private or confidential or not but I'd be happy to convert it to another format or at least try should that be any use to you

Thank you,

The files (being PSD's are quite large (21mb), but should email OK. They are just simple pics, that I never realised would hold such a special value.

I'd be most grateful If you'd like to have a try for me. Perhaps you could forward me a PM with your email address and I could end one for you to experiment on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.