streaming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
There is a station (Norwegian radio) with a click function for non-Windows users. With Safari, this has always worked, that is, until I tried to make Firefox receive this station "NRK". On Firefox, I installed a plugin to send the stream to VLC. IT worked once, but now, when I want any of my browsers to stream, a little black video screen appears, and it seems as if the browser is trying to download the file from NRK (as well as other stations).
In some cases, I can exit the little screen, then start over again with the NRK radio menu for non-windows users, otherwise, I cannot get the sound.
I disactivated the VLC plugin, but found no other plugin causing mischief.
How to I go about tracking down this problem?
Many thanks,
P

C

chas_m

My grasp of Norwegian comes entirely from bad Viking movies, but I went to the NRK home page, clicked on "NRK Nettradio andre i formatter" (NRK Netradio in other formats) and was presented with a page full of streaming MP3 links for NRK's various offerings (I like the "folkemusikk" one personally).

Picking any one of those opened a Quicktime player (black screen with QT controller) in my browser and the sound worked immediately. If I right-click one of the streaming MP3 links instead of left-clicking it, I can then "copy link" and paste it into iTunes (using the "Open Stream" command in the File menu). Once there, it is permanently in iTunes (the link files itself under Radio in the category International) so I don't need to use the web browser anymore and works great. For anyone on a fast cable/DSL connection, you want the "høy" (high) quality stream.

On the same page with all the MP3 links is a link near the top for Icecast-based AAC streaming links. I prefer AAC over MP3 and again clicking on any of those "M3U" links caused iTunes to start streaming the station immediately.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Highly interesting! ... and I hadn't thought of right clicking. I have Flip MAC studio and keep it up-to-date. What happens with NRK is that I get the screen, click over to the list of stations and onto P1, P2, or P3. The little wheel churns on the black screen and nothing comes of it all. Often, repeating the process, I fool NRK and manage to make the "old" system work. Problems started when I added the VLC extension to Firefox... I gave up on Firefox, disactivated the extension, but the problem repeated itself in Safari and Chrome. As for iTunes, you are quite right: I managed to get two Norwegian channels into iTunes where they reside happily. (As for Italian stations (I live in Italy) the problem is simple: Italian radio insists that MAC owners have Real Player, and that's that). You have given me some very good insights to help me pursue the task of streaming with MAC.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, but still, I had taught iMAC to shoot the Norwegian page directly to Flip Player when in Chrome, which is the black screen with the spinning wheel. With Safari, however, I can still get the page that lets me click on to "høyt" and get the menus you got. Flip gives me the black screen, but won't play the sound. Safari, however, does let me get that menu and all is OK.
Since Safari has more trouble navigating among the NRK written and photo pages, I listen to the Norwegians on Safari, and follow the written pages in Chrome! Wish I could figure out how to undo my mischief in Chrome, consisting of adding the VLC plugin. I can't get back the menu that asked me where to direct the stream. Meanwhile Chrome tells me that there is no more VLC plugin. As we say in Italy, "boh!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.