Word for Mac 2011 toolbar/ribbon issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
I'm running OS X 10.8.2 on a new iMac and installed World 2011 for Mac. The default toolbars are Home, Layout, Document Elements, Tables, Charts, SmartArt, and Review. They are all there. For example, the font paragraph, and typography boxes are all there.

However, the master toolbar that usually sits on top of everything is missing. It usually contains the save icon (floppy disc), the "show" icon (paragraph sign), the format painter, and the search box. Occasionally this master toolbar magically re-appears, but I have not been able to figure out what brings it back. It also disappears without warning. Finally, without the paragraph sign "show" icon I can't turn off the little paragraph marks. Any idea what's going on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps you don't have the Ribbon preferences set correctly - although that should not cause the main toolbar to disappear and appear at random. Open Word Preferences, select the Ribbon option. The dialog which shows the layout selections is where you need to check. Check to see that the Print Layout view has all options checked off except the Developer box.

If that doesn't correct it, your Normal Template may be corrupt and might have to be reset. Let me know and if necessary, we can reset the Normal Template.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And ensure you have updated Office 2011 to version 14.3.1.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
To chscag: I did exactly as you suggested, but the missing ribbon did not return. To harryb2448: I re-installed Microsoft Office using a fresh download from my university, but no change. I am game for resetting the template, whatever that involves.

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry about not getting back to you earlier but Sunday is a work day for me. Let's try to reset the Normal Template although if you recently reinstalled Office 2011, that should have given you a new template. Let's try anyway. Follow along as it requires some terminal work.

The first thing we have to do is unhide your user library. (The user library is hidden by default in Lion and Mountain Lion.)

Open your terminal application: (Applications, Utilities, Terminal.app) and type the following (you can copy from here).

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Press return. Now type in the word exit to leave the terminal. The user library should now be visible.

Make sure you close all Office 2011 applications.

Open your Finder. Navigate your way to the Normal Template by following this:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Delete the file "Normal.dotm" but do not empty the trash.

Open Word 2011. Word will create a new Normal template upon startup. The new Normal template will not have any of your previous changes that you may have made to menus or attached macros.

If the new Normal template does not cure the problem, delete the new one and restore your old one from the trash. Let me know.

Reaction score
Word for Mac 2008 bottom toolbar missing

Hi,
I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Word 2008 and a few weeks ago the bottom toolbar that displays the different Views (draft, web layout, outline, etc) and page location/number of pages disappeared.
Can anybody help? I don't even know what the name of this bottom toolbar/status bar I'm talking about is. I've attached an image of what I'm talking about. Look for the pink-ish arrow on the bottom left. (sorry for the multiple ways of trying to attach this message, I've never used this forum before)

Word 2008 missing bottom bar | Flickr - Photo Sharing!Word 2008 missing bottom bar | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks!

Reaction score
GETTING STATUS BAR BACK In WORD 2011 for MAC OS X 10.8

I just spent time searching for a similar question and thought I would come back and answer this old Q which seems similar but without an answer. I finally sorted it out after too long and thought this may help others. Tried to be excessively clear, since I usually need a step by step.

Had trouble figuring out why my status bar was missing in my WORD 2011 documents on my iMAC running OS X 10.8.5. I know the new Mavericks is just out but haven't installed it yet. To get the Status bar back (or turn it off), open a Word Document, Click on "WORD" at the top to access the dropdown list at the top of your screen, then Select "Preferences"

In Preferences, click on Show All at the top if don't see the panel titled "Authouring and Proofing Tools". In that panel select "VIEW". In the next screen you will see several options, including a panel near the bottom titled "WINDOW". In there should be a box called "STATUS BAR". Simply click to activate or unclick to turn off.

Hope this helps others resolve this or their other issues more quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.