iOS 6 on iPhone 2g

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2009 2.53ghz 4GB RAM 250gb HDD
Right, I am new to this forum, so please move this to any appropriate place if needed. I am also new to 'manipulating' iOS. I got hold of the official iOS 6.1.2, changed .ipsw to .zip extracted it. I did a bit of digging and the Plists show model identifiers and such relating to iPhone 4,1 (my 4s I used to get the OS from iTunes) if I got the same for the iPhone 2g I own, could I simply 'call' iOS 6, iOS 3?
I have no problem trying this, and possibly even developing iOS 6 for the 2g once mine has been repaired (it currently needs a back top, bottom, bezel, screen, battery and the wifi is dodgy :D ). However has anybody tried this with any other iOS or device?
Tia, callum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you fancy experimenting you can obviously give it a go but I suspect that ios6 won't have the required hardware support for the components in a 2g

OP
Callum1500
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, thanks for your reply, I will try it when I get the phone repaired. this will be at least 2 weeks, as i need to get £120 to fix it, (apple replacement). I know that the iphones are built differently, however there can't be too much different, all the buttons are the same etc, so i'll try it and post back. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
like i say, wortha go as a project but buttons are the least of your worries.... whole diffent logic board, wireless chips, ram, cpu etc etc

Have a look at the ifixit teardown for your phone and say a 3gs or a 4. the components are vastly different

OP
Callum1500
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point, will have to watch that, has anybody else out there tried anything similar?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Changing a value in a plist isn't going to make iOS 6 work on an incompatible version of the iPhone. You surely didn't think that was the only safegaurd? Also, it is impossible to "develop" the iOS without access to the source code which, unless you're an Apple employee working on iOS, you won't have..

The only thing you will end up doing by forcing an incompatible version of iOS on your iPhone 2G is bricking it..:)

OP
Callum1500
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quite possibly, but its a 2g, I don't really care tbh, however when iTunes checks this, it should see that it fits the bill, and install it. I was not necessarily meaning to develop an entire OS, but modify the 6.1.2 to run on the 2g as properly as possible and by changing as little as possible, so it is easy to do without the blackra1n or whited00r stuff.

OP
Callum1500
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meh, I'll try it, Whited00r 6 looks good on the outside but i'm not too fond of the whole jailbreak effort, it just annoys me. however the iPhone 2g is a great piece of design, and it really needs a new lease of life, I do not know the inner workings of either iOS, so it may work, it may not. But if it does it would be amazing, you have to agree?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Unfortunately, as an embedded software engineer who works with these kinds of devices, I know what would work and what wouldn't..and this is certainly not one of those working situations..but hey, if you have a device you don't care about, by all means play with it..

If, by some miracle, iOS 6 actually even loads on the iPhone 2G, the performance will be so bad that it'd be essentially useless..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Meh, I'll try it, Whited00r 6 looks good on the outside but i'm not too fond of the whole jailbreak effort, it just annoys me.
You find jailbreaking tedious but want to undertake this project? Methinks there's a problem here... ;)

It would appear that iOS 6 supported devices use v7 of the ARM instructions set whereas the original iPhone has a v6 processor. I imagine that, right there, you've hit a roadblock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.