• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Alternative offline viewers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.8, 15" Retina, 500 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM.
Hey, I just bought a rMBP recently. Since it doesn't have a DVD player, I would prefer to download movies for offline viewing when I travel. Are there any alternatives to iTunes for offline viewing on the rMBP?

Thank you

C

chas_m

It's not legal to "rip" movie DVDs to your hard drive in the US (yeah, sucks to be you!) so that's not an option, and I don't know of any movie services other than iTunes that offer offline viewing. Does Amazon offer it? If anyone would, I would think it would be them.

At any rate, iTunes might be your best option anyway. They are WAY cheaper than the video stores for rentals, you have the option of HD on that gorgeous rMBP and they let you hold onto the file for up to 30 days before you start watching.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the rMBP doesn't have an optical drive, so I couldn't rip them even if I wanted to. I thought Amazon would, so I tried them first. Don't see a MAC option. I may be stuck with my Android tablet on this one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mac owners are still second rate citizens with Amazon - no downoading. Although, they did jump on the iPad bandwagon straight away.

Android owners are even lower class citizens. Even though they have an Android app for their own devices, can't even stream to any other Android device.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, now that you mention it, on my Xoom tablet, I don't have the Amazon download option, I have to use Google Play. On a Windows machine, there is an Amazon option, and it's about a dollar a movie less.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Android owners are even lower class citizens. Even though they have an Android device, can't even stream to any other Android device.
Fixed that for you. ;)

From the sounds of it, iTunes probably is your best bet. It certainly has a more accessible offline selection than other services which predominately depend on streaming as the method of delivery. Is there any particular reason you don't want to use iTunes?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mostly the cost. iTunes is about a dollar more a movie. Not that I rent movies often for download anymore, but if I have a cross country flight, that's when I do that. Just looking for a cheaper option that works on a Mac.

C

chas_m

Ah, finally thought of another option: Vudu. I don't know much about it, but it offers rental of HD movies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.