Yahoo Games Missing Plugin Problem

Reaction score
Hello all -

I know this issue has been discussed and I tried those tips, but to no avail.

I'm using Mac 10.7.5 and until 2 days ago, had no problem playing Yahoo Games. Now I am getting the "Missing Plugin" white screen.
I reviewed the threads to type in the commands on Terminal to get the old Java working, but that doesn't do anything.
I also installed the latest version of Flash and it's still not working.

Any tips?

Thank you.

Reaction score
You don't need Terminal. What browser are you using? You need to enable the Java browser plugin in your browser.
It's disabled by default by Apple (and Firefox) due to security problems.

C

chas_m

Yes, but they won't work -- ever -- until you update your Java to the latest version.

Download the latest Java 7 from here, and also check your Software Update for an Apple-supplied update to Java 6, which you probably also have.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did both of those things (and there was an update from Apple that was installed) and it's still telling me "missing plug-ins." This is beyond frustrating as I was just on there a few days ago playing.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're just getting the "missing plug-ins" message and not the "it's out of date" one, it's not because the plug-in is out of date. If you go to Help > Installed Plug-Ins, do you see Java listed there (it will be called "Java Applet Plug-in")?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're using Java 7, do the following: go to System Preferences > Java > Security and make sure "Enable Java content in the browser" is checked.

If you're using Java 6 (if the instructions above make no sense, go with these): go to /Application/Utilities and open up Java Preferences. In there, make sure that Java applets are enabled (sorry I can't be more specific but it's been a while since I used it).

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you to all of those who helped.
I went into "Get Info" for Safari and unchecked "open in 32-bit"
Although the font is a little harder to read in the games for some reason, I am able to get in and play.

Thanks again! I'm relieved.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would explain it since Java is a purely 64bit plugin (hence why it no longer works in Chrome, a purely 32bit browser).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.