PowerMac G4 Problems

Reaction score
I got a PowerMac G4 today. Its a dual 450mhz machine with the sawtooth agp motherboard. No graphics card, ram, hdd, cd drive, pram battery.

I installed some sd ram, installed a geforce 4 420 agp graphics card (its a pc graphics card) and tried to boot it. It chimes and the power button lights up white but doesn't display anything on the screen or power on my USB devices.

I've tried the geforce4, a geforce2, a random elsa erazor iii lt agp card, a PCI s3 virge card. All do the same.

Is this due to a lac of pram battery or is it because none of the cards are flashed to "apple" bios?

I tried pressing the cuda switch, it still did the same thing, I also tried various keyboard commands but as I said i'm not getting any power to my usb devices.

Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Rule one you need a Mac graphics card. None of the PC cards you listed will help. About the best would be an ATI Radeon 9800. Anyway the computer is hardly worth the expense of a Mac card. Originally it came with a Rage 128 Pro but if you find one not much good for gaming nowadays. Even that may be hard to find a 2X compatible card. here is a cheaper, and much much much slower option:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-M...780?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3a785162bc

And here is the original card:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Pow...109?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item257b588675

If you intend to purchase memory be aware Macs use low density PC100 memory and NOT high density PC memory. Be aware computers sold in the condition you got this one usually have a failed logic board before spending any cash.

OP
E
Reaction score

Rule one you need a Mac graphics card. None of the PC cards you listed will help. ABout the best would be an ATI Radeon 9800. Any the computer is hardly worth the expense of a Mac card. Originally it came with a Rage 128 but if you find one not much good for gaming nowadays.

Hello!

Well I see there is some hope with flashing the geforce2 card?

And I'm not at all worried about gaming, I just want a mac to have it and experiment with it, I'm a pc technician.

Will 2x 256mb sticks of pc133 work? Those sticks worked in an imac g3 a year ago.

Also I bought this from a friend, he said it worked but he removed the items he did because he planned on upgrading it but never got to, and lost all the originals afterward.

OP
E
Reaction score

Rule one you need a Mac graphics card. None of the PC cards you listed will help. About the best would be an ATI Radeon 9800. Anyway the computer is hardly worth the expense of a Mac card. Originally it came with a Rage 128 Pro but if you find one not much good for gaming nowadays. Even that may be hard to find a 2X compatible card. here is a cheaper, and much much much slower option:-

New Apple Mac G4 G5 Cube Mac ATI Radeon 7000 32MB AGP VGA Graphics Video Card | eBay

And here is the original card:-

Genuine PowerMac G4 ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP Video Card 109 72700 02 Working USA | eBay

If you intend to purchase memory be aware Macs use low density PC100 memory and NOT high density PC memory. Be aware computers sold in the condition you got this one usually have a failed logic board before spending any cash.

I might get the original if it's not possible to flash a geforce2 mx 200.

If I use 2x 256mb sticks of pc133 will that be fine? (i assume its fine as it chimes)

OP
E
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nah give that flashing business a miss. Great way to throw older gfx cards into the trash bin lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.