macbook won't start

Reaction score
Hi,

My white macbook is not starting.

I am pressing the power button and the computer does nothing no HDD noise no fun noise nothing.

I took out the HDD drive and tested in another mac and is working fine so no problem with the HDD.

Any idea what might 've happened.. ???

Reaction score
Could be a problem with the power button or possibly the logic board. You might try an SMC reset (remove charger+battery and hold power button for 5-10 seconds).

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the answer

I already did that and nothing happened

If it is a problem with memory then the mac cannot start right ?

When i am putting the power cord is green and the battery is ok .

Reaction score
It usually will have problems booting with bad RAM, but should at least turn on. If there are no signs of life whatsoever and it's receiving power and charging, then I would suspect a logic board failure. I suggest taking it apart (great repair guides on iFixit) and checking for loose cables and cleaning off any motherboard corrosion with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

I ve open the case and clean all the contacts but the problem still remains.

HOw can i be sure that the problem is on the logic board because i dont want to order it without being sure.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How old is your white MacBook? If it's an older model (probably is), it's not going to be worthwhile to replace a logic board - if that's the problem. A new or refurbished logic board will cost more than your computer is worth. Save your $$ for a new one instead.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
HOw can i be sure that the problem is on the logic board because i dont want to order it without being sure.

Let me help you out with something. If it is the logic board...and since you have a white MacBook...the cost of the new/replacement logic board will more than likely be too expensive to be a good idea.

You didn't say which white MacBook model you have...but the best/newest one is worth around $400-$450...and the oldest white MacBook model is only worth close to $200.

Many replacement logic boards will cost at least $200...and can be as high as $400. So as you can see...replacing the logic board on a computer that is only worth $200-$450 is really not the best way to spend that money.

Back to your computer. It was suggested earlier that maybe there was a problem with the power button...and that you should try an SMC reset. Good idea...but it sounds like it didn't work.

Another suggestion related to the power button...maybe the power button is actually broken. It can happen.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
How old is your white MacBook? If it's an older model (probably is), it's not going to be worthwhile to replace a logic board - if that's the problem. A new or refurbished logic board will cost more than your computer is worth. Save your $$ for a new one instead.

MY MODEL IS MACBOOK 13 late 2007 2GHZ and with a look on ebay i can find the logic board A1181 around 60$

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MY MODEL IS MACBOOK 13 late 2007 2GHZ and with a look on ebay i can find the logic board A1181 around 60$

If that's the correct logic board...and it's fully working (guaranteed)...then $60 would certainly be a worthwhile logic board replacement option.:)

FYI..the identifier A1181 actually covers a lot of different models. The "EMC" number is better. So it may work/fit...or it may not.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to clarify...just about every white & black MacBook model from 2006 thru 2009 has an A1181 identifier...and the logic boards thru all those different models are certainly different.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
If that's the correct logic board...and it's fully working (guaranteed)...then $60 would certainly be a worthwhile logic board replacement option.:)

FYI..the identifier A1181 actually covers a lot of different models. The "EMC" number is better. So it may work/fit...or it may not.

- Nick

Where can i find this EMC number ?

So a logic board with 2.4Ghz processor is different with the one with 2GHz and it wont fit in my macbook ??

Thanks all of you people for your help:D:D:D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where can i find this EMC number ?

With the info you provided...the EMC number for your MacBook is EMC 2200.

So a logic board with 2.4Ghz processor is different with the one with 2GHz and it wont fit in my macbook ??

There more than likely are logic boards that are interchangeable between MacBook models. But there also could be very small changes that can make logic boards not swappable...such as something as small as a wire/cable with a different plug/connector.

I have not swapped every logic board from every MacBook model from 2006 thru 2009 (15 different models)...so I certainly cannot give you an exact answer as to what is and what is not swappable.

This is why it's best to always purchase & replace the exact logic boards...unless you are a risk taker. And when you purchase things on e-Bay...parts are not always returnable. So that low cost $60 logic board can turn into $200+ after a couple non-fitting...non-returnable...logic boards.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi again Nick,

In ordinary PC i can short-circuit the motherboard pins with a screwdriver in order to see if the m/b is faulty or not

I did something similar in the logic board because i suspected that the keyboard is faulty and cannot provide a power-on signal to the logic board and suprisingly the macbook boot perfectly.

Now the problem is limited to the keyboard or the power button what can do now ??

Thanks

Antonis

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi again Nick,

In ordinary PC i can short-circuit the motherboard pins with a screwdriver in order to see if the m/b is faulty or not

Can i do something similar in the logic board because i suspect that the keyboard is faulty and cannot provide a power-on signal to the logic board ?

Thanks

Antonis

I 've managed to short-circuit the board and boot the pc so the problem is with the keyboard or with the power button any idea to avoid to buy a new keyboard

Reaction score
On some models, there are 2 traces on the motherboard that can indeed be shorted together. Are you saying you were successful in booting the Mac this way? If the problem is for sure with the power button, you can get them cheap on eBay (less than $10 shipped). Search for "macbook power button board" and the model number (something like A1226 or A1278, should be in system profiler and on bottom of machine).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I 've managed to short-circuit the board and boot the pc so the problem is with the keyboard or with the power button any idea to avoid to buy a new keyboard

On some newer Apple laptops I think that you can get a seperate power button...but I'm pretty sure on the older white MacBooks...the power button is pretty much integrated into the topcase...which is the (keyboard, speakers, trackpad, power button) assembly.

These can be purchased used at either Powerbookmedic.com, on e-Bay, or ifixit.com:

- MacBook Keyboard & Top Case Trackpad White 13" - 922-9592 922-8125
- iFixit
- eBay

If you decide to purchase a used topcase via e-Bay...the prices will vary widely. The topcase's are known for cracking & chipping...so look carefully before you buy.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
On some newer Apple laptops I think that you can get a seperate power button...but I'm pretty sure on the older white MacBooks...the power button is pretty much integrated into the topcase...which is the (keyboard, speakers, trackpad, power button) assembly.
Ah, that's right...I was thinking of the 2006-08 MacBook PRO models. You may also be able to get away with plugging in an iMac keyboard with a power button.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, that's right...I was thinking of the 2006-08 MacBook PRO models. You may also be able to get away with plugging in an iMac keyboard with a power button.

Yeah...the MacBook Pro's have a bit more flexibility. It does seem a shame to have to buy a whole topcase to replace a power button on a white MacBook. I had to replace a whole topcase once for a non-working trackpad button.

I seem to remember (when I worked on my white MacBooks)...that you could actually remove the power button and cable...but it's a delicate process. Only problem...I checked ifixit.com, powerbookmedic.com, and e-Bay...and no one seems to sell a replacement power button for a white MacBook. Thus someone is sort of stuck getting the whole topcase.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.