Bootcamp won't install DirectX Runtime Update

Reaction score
My newest architectural software requires the installation of a new DirectX Runtime update. No matter what, the installation of the update won't happen, preventing an important part of my software from working.

When I try to install the Runtime files, it simply says "An internal system errors occurred". I've gone to Microsoft to try installing DirectX updates through there, also with no luck.

Next, I've tried updating the driver for the video card. That brings the error "Graphics adapter can't be found".

Checking the devices in device manager, I see the AMD Radeon 6750 installed.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 withthe AMD Radeon video card.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
DirectX is installed automatically depending on the version of Windows that you installed. (which you neglected to mention) The AMD Radeon drivers should have been installed along with the drivers you downloaded from Apple during the Boot Camp setup. You did download them, right? And since your machine can only install Windows 7 or 8, that means you had to download the drivers from Apple.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm on Windows 7 32 bit. The initial Radeon and Direct X drivers are in place but the new software requires a DirectX Runtime upgrade which won't go through. I've checked to install the newest Radeon drivers but the computer blocks the install. I have the stock Radeon drivers back from Bootcamp but they are several iterations older than the current.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've checked to install the newest Radeon drivers but the computer blocks the install.

Are you sure you're downloading and installing the correct drivers for your graphics card? If the drivers are the correct ones, Windows 7 should install them without a problem.

In your first post you mention you have an AMD Radeon 6750. That can't be correct. According to Mactracker and Apple, your video card is shown as:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and Intel HD Graphics 4000 (I have your machine listed as a 15" MBP 2.3 GHZ i7 non retina.) Is that correct? Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner and select about this Mac. Post that here so I can verify what's going on.

OP
J
Reaction score
Pulling the full specs, which I should have before, I'm sorry about that.

MacBook Pro, 15 Inch, Late 2011
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
4GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
OS X 10.8.2

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something still isn't correct....

According to Apple and Mactracker, a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro comes as either 2.4 or 2.5 GHZ CPU with an AMD Radeon HD 6770M and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

Once again, according to Mactracker and Apple, your machine is an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHZ with an AMD Radeon 6750M and Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPUs.

Sorry to be so picky about this but I'm trying to track down exactly what's going on with the Windows 7 drivers.

Here's what I think is happening:

Windows is picking up the Intel HD 3000 integrated GPU as active and that's the reason you received the error message "Graphics Adapter can't be found". Also the reason why it's not allowing the newer drivers to be installed.

Verify this for me and post back. I have a suggestion that may work to get you going with your new software but it's going to require a reinstall.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for the MacTracker App. Very cool and very helpful.

Pulled it up, October 2011 till June 2012

2.2 i7 processor

It shows the 6750M and 6770M. I believe the 6770 was for the higher i7 models.

Definitely the Intel as the secondary graphics adapter and I think you're absolutely right as to why that's why it isn't being recognized.

And please, no apologies on being too picky. I appreciate the help on this. It's killing me that I can't get my software working.

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh, the rest of the stats I posted were directly from the Mac side instead of the Windows side, from the "About" function.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, now that we know what the hardware is for sure, here is what I suggest:

I noticed that you opted to install Windows 7 x 32 bit. There's nothing basically wrong with the 32 bit version but it has limitations. For one, it's limited to utilizing only 3.3 GB of system memory regardless of how much you may have installed. You're also limited to using the older 32 bit graphics drivers and DirectX.

Consider removing the 32 bit version of Windows 7 and installing the 64 bit version instead. Unfortunately, there is no upgrade path. The 64 bit version has to be installed clean which means the complete removal of the 32 bit version. I suspect that with the 64 bit version you'll be able to utilize the correct graphics adapter and drivers. I don't know which Windows 7 disk that you have, but my Microsoft boxed version included both DVDs, 32 and 64 bit.

If you would rather not do the above, there might also be a way to force Windows into recognizing the correct graphics adapter.

GfxCardStatus is a utility that can be used to switch your graphics card to the AMD from the Intel and keep it that way. The Intel HD 3000 will always be used by OS X as the default unless the machine is doing heavy graphics work. By forcing it to use the AMD and then booting to Windows 7, that may also enable Windows to recognize the AMD. Here is the download LINK for the utility. It's free.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I'll give the second option a run. If necessary I'll make the jump to 64. Just want to make sure that will work on the system. Man this is frustrating. I imagine I'll have the fun of the DirectX Runtime upgrade whenever I finally get the drivers straightened out. Ugh.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, no luck so far. Going to try Apple itself as well to see if they might have some insight. Also going to see if it will install on the Parallels partition on my Mac Air. If it does, then may be shifting this computer to Parallels instead of Boot Camp. Not preferable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.