Restore iPhone Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
My 16GB iPhone 4 is working fine with the latest OS but I notice I have over 2GB of "Other" showing up on it that I'd like to either get rid of or reduce as much as possible. I only have a handful of songs on it and a fair number of apps along with the usual contacts and calendar info.

I'm just wondering if I did a factory restore of the phone and then re-added everything I wanted on it if this might reduce the amount of "other" space used?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I thinks that's probably a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

I'd start by opening up the multitasking bar and emptying it of apps. The hard boot the phone holding home and sleep/wake until the screen blanks and the apple logo appears.

Now reconnect to iTunes and check on the 'other' category

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
Thanks for the advice MrPlow but that didn't help at all. Still showing 2.03GB of Other.

I've read elsewhere that a restore will fix the issue but thought I'd check with you guys first. I value the opinions and advice I've gotten from here in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
While a restore will get rid of it if you don't know what makes up that 2gb you could lose something.

Other can be temp files etc - that should have cleared given the advice from my previous post.
It can also be files held within apps.
Have a look in settings - general - usage. Wait for the apps list to load. This will give you a good idea of which apps and their documents and data are taking space.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I see the apps and the documents and data for each but can't figure out how to tell which one is causing the issue. Or do they all combine their data to create that total for the "Other"?

If the amount of other can't be avoided then I guess I'll have to live with it but it just seems to be a waste of space if it's just useless info eating up the space.

Thanks again for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a look at one that's taking a lot of space. You can ignore games in general.
It tends to be file apps, photo apps etc

Go into the app and see what's stored.
You can also connect to iTunes and in the panel at the bottom of the apps screen you can see apps that may have external data held

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.