How Long Will It Take Apple to Replace a 2011 MBA Logic Board?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
My 2011 MBA is intermittently not charging. I plug in the charger, but the cord does not illuminate. The battery icon on the top bar changes to a plug symbol instead of a lightning bolt. When I click on it, it says "not charging".

I have two chargers. When one doesn't work, the other one usually doesn't either. I come back an hour later and both work perfectly. I've tried all the troubleshooting ideas people have posted. Calibrated the battery. Heated the charger with a hairdryer. Inspected the pins, etc.

At this point, it doesn't happen often enough for me to successfully duplicate the problem in the Apple Store. I'm pretty sure it's the logic board though. It's still under warranty, but my question is, In the event that Apple decides to replace the board, how long will I be without my MBA? I use it heavily for work. I can't be without it for a week. That would cause me huge problems.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's still under warranty, but my question is, In the event that Apple decides to replace the board, how long will I be without my MBA?

Depending on how busy the store is (backlog of repairs)...and if they have the logic board in stock...they can do it in the same day.

If they didn't have the part...it should still take less than a week. I know folks who had to ship their laptop to an Apple repair center for logic board replacement...and even with the shipping time both ways...it took less than a week.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the MBA is still under warranty, I'd strongly recommend against trying to fix this yourself with hairdyers and what not. Take it into the store and have them tell you what the fix is and how long it will take. I imagine that the store has to send it off to be fixed and then get it back, so assuming that's what has to happen you're looking at at least a few days and then how many ever days to do the work. So a week or so doesn't sound like a unreasonable time frame..

if you can't be without the MBA for that long, you might want to see if you can borrow someone elses machines..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It also depends on the store itself whether they do in house major repairs. We have quite a few Apple stores in the Dallas Fort Worth area but as far as I'm aware, only one does in house major repairs. The store closest to me (10 minutes away) does not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The MBP I have now had a LB replaced it took 6 days from when I brought it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Wow - didn't realize this is such a common problem. Mine had to be mailed, but I had it back within a week, and I live North of Nowhere, with the only Apple store 1 1/2 hours away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.