Browser Problems

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with my 2010 Macbook and was hoping you could help, as googling hasn't helped my specific problem.

I've begun to get the Aw Snap error message very frequently in Google Chrome recently. I can be browsing for a while, then get the error message, then it begins happening excessively. I've tried the suggested solutions, disabling plugins, creating a new user profile, checking my firewall etc, but no solution. Thinking it was just Chrome, I tried Firefox, but it would simply crash frequently. During the most recent time this happened Firefox would just crash on startup every time. Safari also crashed on me several times during one of these incidents. Restarting the computer fixes the problem, but temporarily, eventually Chrome gives me the Aw Snap message and it all begins again. I don't know how long it takes before the problem begins cropping up, but definitely several hours of the laptop being on. I have always left the laptop on for long periods without rebooting, and am only experiencing these problems in the last few days.

2010 MacBook
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8
2.4GHz Processor, 4GB DDR3 1067MHz RAM

The only other additional information I have is that I installed a new HDD and RAM myself, but this was several months ago, and the problems are very recent.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Sounds like you may have some caching issues. Download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools. I'm not sure if its browser cache cleaning module will clean the cache for all browsers or just Safari, but we'll see. Also make sure your system is completely up to date with Java and Flash, if you have them installed, though those shouldn't be an issue with Chrome, from what I understand.

Also, how much free hard drive space do you have? And take note of my signature.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I'll give Onyx a try. I have around 500GB free on my hard drive, and I have no security or anti-virus programs installed. I'll double check java too, but I checked and Chrome definitely auto-updates flash.

Reaction score
Additional Inquiry about google chrome, sometimes when im using it, all the images from the website i was on are on the desktop, and the website in html form. I dont know what i did to trigger this, anyone know?

OP
C
Reaction score
You might be saving the webpage to desktop. You may be hitting command-S by accident?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.