• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Saving iDVD movies

Reaction score
How can I save an iDVD movie as a .mov or something other than .dvdproj? This file will not play on PC's and I need this project to be viewed by clients on their PC's. Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Assuming that you don't still have the original video, then use Handbrake.
HandBrake

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi MightyGem ~ I do have the original. It was made in iMovie. What I wanted to do was make a movie with Chapters (Scenes) and also have a Menu. As I couldn't make the Menu in iMovie I "Shared" it to iDVD to make the menu. Should I have finalized the movie before Sharing it to iDVD? When I save it in iDVD I get a .dvdproj file. I'm trying to figure out how to change that. I've made very few movies and none with Chapters and a Menu. This is the last video I made for a Children's Center near me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaU-GNyqabw. Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Insert your Chapter Markers in iMovie. It's a lot easier than doing it in iDVD. You should have a button near the top of the main iMovie window:
Screenshot2013-03-10at203833_zps39b38bc6.png

If you can't see it then enable Advanced Tools in iMovie Preferences.

There's no need to finalize an iMovie Project. All that does is create a copy of your Project in every resolution that it can support, and make them available to other Apps via the Media Browser. If you don't need that, then there's no need to bother.

When I save it in iDVD I get a .dvdproj file. I'm trying to figure out how to change that.
That's the file type that iDVD produces. You can't use iDVD to burn a dvd without producing that. Why do you want/need to change it?

OP
K
Reaction score
I shot a cheerleading exhibition and sold videos (which I'm going to make) to parents. Many (probably most) will be on PC's. When I had a friend do a test iDVD video on her PC the dvdproj would not play. She tried it on numerous video applications. I'm letting this drive me crazy 'cause I know it will work fine on a DVD player.

I did make the Chapter markers in iMovie and the only reason I'm using iDVD is to create a Menu so parents can click to where their little 'sweetheart' is and not have to look at everyone else.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You'll have to burn the file to DVD to create something others can play. Once the first one is made you can duplicate that finished DVD using something like Burn. This tutorial might help. http://www.bgsu.edu/downloads/cio/file85787.pdf

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey Slydude ~ Thanks. I already burned a DVD from the test video I made in iDVD and it played fine on a DVD player hooked to a TV, but will not play in a PC. That's my dilemma and what I'm trying to figure out...... why a .dvdproj will not play on a PC or how can I change it to a .mov or .avi that will.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see what you mean now. Not sure why the finished DVD will play on a TV but not on a PC unless the PC is missing some software. In any event since you have a finished DVD it is possible to use either Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip to extract the video file from the finished DVD that you have and save the movie as another format. Both programs support saving the video in a wide variety of formats. .See here for an example

I saw a post by our own chasm on another forum that reminded me of something. The actual movie files may be stored within the iDVD project files though I am not exactly sure where. Don't have iDVD installed at the moment to check.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The actual movie files may be stored within the iDVD project files though I am not exactly sure where.
Right/Ctrl click on the .dvdproj file and choose "Show Package Contents". Go into Content>Resorces>MPEGnobackup and the movie file should be in there as an mpeg file.

Once the first one is made you can duplicate that finished DVD using something like Burn.

iDVD will prompt you to burn another dvd once it's finished burning the first disc. If you're wanting to burn extra copies at a later date, don't burn the iDVD project to disc, but from the File Menu, choose the Save As Disc Image option. You can then burn dvds as required using Disc Utility, which you'll find in the Utilities Folder in your Appliocations Folder.

If a lot of your "customers" want to view the movie on a PC rather than a TV, then you could always just Export as A Movie from iMovie's Share menu. That will give you a movie file that you can just burn to a dvd as a data dvd(rather than a video dvd) and they should then be able to play it on a PC.

Then again you could have the best of both worlds. Export As A Movie from iMovie and then Share from iMovie to iDVD. Before you burn the dvd from iDVD, go into iDVD's Advanced Menu and click on Edit DVD ROM Contents. Now drag that exported movie into the ROM Contents window and then burn your dvd.

Your customers then have the option to play the dvd in a dvd player, or play the movie file on their PC by inserting the dvd, going into My Computer and clicking on the dvd icon. This will then display the ROM Contents for them to play the movie file.

You just need to remember that some PCs/DVD Players will play home made dvds, and some won't. If the dvds that you're using are DVD-R, try changing to DVD+R or vice versa.

C

chas_m

A movie DVD that plays on a DVD player is all you need, don't complicate your life with all that extra folderol.

If the movie DVD plays in the DVD player, then the reason it won't play on the PC is because the PC lacks the software or only has a CD-R drive or some such explanation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.