Mini iPad Verizon

Reaction score
I traded my iPad in for a Mini, much better on arthritic hands. Easier to read in bed. Smaller screen is a pain when you touch on something.

Anyway. I want to text or text with message to non-Apple cell phones. A Google search didn't give a clear answer and got several conflicting posts of Verizon CSRs saying yes or no. Some people hinted at special apps, but I was having trouble tracking them down.

My girlfriend has a non-Apple phone and never uses email. I need to be able to send her and others pictures and text. My iPhone has a 500 monthly text limit and ATT burns you when you go over. Had someone yesterday who refused to talk by phone but had a 50+ text conversation with me yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can send text messages with an iPad Mini using the Messages app. If you purchased the wi-fi only version, you can only do it when you have a wi-fi connection (obviously). You set it up by opening Settings (the gray gear app). Scroll down to Messages. Turn on iMessage. Under "Send & Receive" in that same list of settings, you can assign an email address to send your messages from. Your recipient does not need to have an iPhone. It will come to them as a normal text message. I've used it from my 1st Gen iPad to "text" someone who has a BB phone. It won't count against your monthly text limit from AT&T.

OP
K
Reaction score
Imessges is on

I HAVE IMESSAGES ON. And I have a Verizon ipad as I stated. In tests yesterday, I can send text & pics to my iphone. I can't send text or pics to non-apple products. tried it to 2 phones yesterday. If I had an email address, I would just use Mail. Some people like my girlfriend don't have email accounts or in her case never use them.

I tried both wifi then my Verizon account

As for text count, that's why I want to use my iPad rather than my iPhone.
iPhone = ATT
iPad = Verizon & at home cable wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I HAVE IMESSAGES ON. And I have a Verizon ipad as I stated. In tests yesterday, I can send text & pics to my iphone. I can't send text or pics to non-apple products. tried it to 2 phones yesterday. If I had an email address, I would just use Mail. Some people like my girlfriend don't have email accounts or in her case never use them.

I tried both wifi then my Verizon account

As for text count, that's why I want to use my iPad rather than my iPhone.
iPhone = ATT
iPad = Verizon & at home cable wifi

I'm not sure if messages will send SMS from an iPad. Apples docs that I've seen generally specifies iPhone when SMS/mms is mentioned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.