Web pages won't load

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB memory
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my Macbook Pro not loading certain web pages and not being able to send or receive emails (accounts continually taken offline). The strange thing is that this is only happening at home with my router if I go to a WIFI hotspot everything works fine and my partner's PC is working fine with our router at home, it seems to be specific to my Mac. It's been working ok for the last two months, the problem started a couple of days ago. I have tried connecting to the router with an ethernet cable but that made no difference.
HELP, thanks in anticipation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you recently installed any kind of anti virus software or a cleaning program?
Both are notorious for making changes to your "Hosts" file which could be causing the problem you're experiencing.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply chscag, The last thing I installed was MacKeeper a couple of months ago and my computer has worked fine until a few days ago so I assume that is not the cause.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do a forum search and or a Google search for "MacKeeper". The general consensus is that it's harmful and should not be installed. We (our forum) do not recommend using it. My suggestion is to completely uninstall MacKeeper first before any further trouble shooting is done.

How to uninstall MacKeeper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
OMG I really wish MacKeeper would just disappear.

Someone needs to sick the BBB on them!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hear you re MacKeeper I will make it disappear, one thing I do like about it is being able to easily encrypt files can any one recommend a download to do this when I get rid of MK. Adric who/what is the BBB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
BBB = Better Business Bureau

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for BBB explanation, I have uninstalled MacKeeper but I am still experiencing the same problems as detailed in my post of 03-06-2013. The only thing I can think of is to do a system restore, any thoughts on this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Head to System Preferences - Network - Advanced

Delete everything in the Preferred Networks box - click OK - click Apply

Status: Connected - hit the turn WiFi Off button - then turn it back on
Then reconnect to your home network

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried everything that has been suggested in this forum and from other sources but unfortunately I am still experiencing the same problem of certain web pages not loading and my mail accounts being constantly taken offline but only on my home network, my Mac works fine on any other network and my partners PC works fine on our home network. I have reset my router to the factory settings but the problem still persists. I think that the only thing left to try is a system restore but that presents me with a dilemma. I have not backed up since this problem began in case I was backing up whatever is causing the problem and as I have no way of knowing what that is I will have lose any files etc which were created since this problem began incase any of these are "infected" or am I thinking too "Windows" here.

Reaction score
Crag 52--just making sure you are deleting the saved preferences (wifi networks) including your own and turning the wifi OFF before turning it back on to your own wifi.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jbird0815, Yes I deleted all preferences including my own and turned the WIFI off and then back on. So in the words of Batman's arch enemy........ RIDDLE ME THAT. Thanks for your reply, the day of the system restore draws near I fear.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Before doing a system restore try creating a new user account and entering your network settings. Since mail seems to be the problrm you mprobably should re-enter the account information as well. If the problem disappears this suggests it is likely something unique to your existing account. That would suggest a reinstall might not be helpful.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude, I'll try that.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried creating a new user account but it did not work, so the last resort (system restore) seems to be the only option, but that is causing a problem. I tried to restore from an external hard drive with Time Machine but when I do I get the following message "Could not validate source-error 254" what do I do about that? I have no idea what to do next, SUPER GEEK I need you.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems that there is nobody in the (Mac) world who has ever come across the problem I am having, I have tried every suggestion made to me to resolve this issue but still no joy. I did a system restore but that has not helped, I know very little about computers but this forum must have some very smart people subscribing to it, is my problem too boring or simple for someone to take a little interest in it? I have had my Macbook Pro for nearly a year now and obviously I changed from a Windows based system because I was not happy with many aspects of it, however in all the years that I used Windows I never came across a problem that I could not eventually resolve myself with a little help. I'm sure any one who has viewed my posts will understand how frustrating it is to be unable to fully use my home network with my Mac while two PC's are experiencing no issues at all on the same network. I look forward to a flood of highly useful info, thanks in anticipation.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Web pages won´t load

Before doing a system restore try creating a new user account and entering your network settings. Since mail seems to be the problrm you mprobably should re-enter the account information as well. If the problem disappears this suggests it is likely something unique to your existing account. That would suggest a reinstall might not be helpful.
Hi, I have done as you suggest with no joy.
Infact since my last post I am now unable to open most web pages and my mail accounts are being constantly taken offline on any network (before this was only occuring on my home network) I have done a system restore but it did not change anything. The only thing left to do is a factory reset as I can only think that something has become corrupted or damaged in the OS. The problem here is that I can`t access the internet and in Apple`s infinite wisdom and wish to control everything they don´t supply an OS install CD anymore so I´m stuck with a 1000 euro machine that can´t get emails or access the internet!!!!! not very amusing. How can I re-install the OS not having an internet connection on my Mac? I can access the internet with my partners PC can I download a ´recovery´ program to it? I am becoming quite disillusioned with with my Mac, this may sound like heresy in this forum but Windows systems although having many failings are easy to rectify if a major problem occurs. It is absolute folly to rely on an internet connection to resolve problems especially when the problem is an internet connection issue!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Have you tried connecting via ethernet cable - to possibly isolate the problem to an Airport (wifi) problem?
Have you tried iStumbler to see what signal strength your Mac thinks it's getting?
iStumbler 99

Reaction score
Well, considering the fact that I am having the same problem as you, it took me about 45 minutes to create this account, activate the account and leave this message :Angry:

PLEASE tell me you were able to resolve this issue or have any input? I've already tried everything previously suggested, however, I have not performed a system restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.