Pages for iPad questions!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Can somebody with a windose only system open a pages document?
Can somebody with an iPad open a word document?
Regards,
Gary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What exactly are you asking? Pages does not run in Windows - if you're asking about opening a Pages document in Windows that was saved as a Word document that's different. Most Pages documents saved as Word will open in Windows Word without a problem. There may be some incompatibilities due to different fonts and layouts, but most can be overcome.

Word documents can be opened and edited on an iPad by using one of many apps for the iPad that can work with Office documents. I use "Quick Office Pro" on my iPad. It opens and edits Word, PP, and Excel documents.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Sorry for the esoteric question,
I was trying to make the question brief but I messed up there,

To cut a short story long!
Daughter is doing final year honours at uni,
Has always been a Microsoft user but is noticing that her friends are now using their ipads

All of her studies and access to data has been from windows based programs, namely, word documents

At the moment, she is carrying around her rather large windows laptop, the majority of her friends are using ipads and nearly all that have small laptops are Macs and are running parallels,

If she gets the Pages app on an iPad, can she open word docs?
If she sends a submission written in pages, (on an iPad), is there going to be a conflict as the uni is still running windows
Regards,
Gary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If she gets the Pages app on an iPad, can she open word docs?

Yes, but if she has to work with a lot of Word documents, I recommend using a different app. Actually, there are several iOS applications I would recommend before Pages in that case:

"QuickOffice Pro"

"Office HD"

They're available to buy from the iTunes App store. Both of those apps can open, edit, and save MS Word, Powerpoint, and Excel documents.

If she sends a submission written in pages, (on an iPad), is there going to be a conflict as the uni is still running windows

Documents written and saved as Word docs in Pages are usually OK, but there are some differences that may result in the formatting being off. The full Microsoft Office for the Mac 2011 is 100% compatible with the MS Windows version, however, there is no version for the iPad. The iPad does not run OS X, it runs iOS and Microsoft has yet to support iOS.

Perhaps you can consider buying your daughter a MacBook Air or the entry level MacBook Pro 13" machine for school rather than an iPad.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Thank you for your very informative reply,
Much appreciated,

I now have a better handle on the direction to take,

My Daughter is asking me as she is aware I talk to you guys and that I am going down the Apple track myself,

She did mention today that there has been an increase in Macs this year and that most were running Office for windows as well

Regards,
Gary

C

chas_m

Actually, Word and Excel were Mac programs before there WAS such a thing as Windows.

Your daughter's friends with Mac are likely running the Mac version of Office.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Thank you Chas,
I'm sure your right,
I guess being competent with both OS will be a great help as I see a lot of colleges in my state are supplying Macs to their students
Regards,
Gary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.