Mouse Issues!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 iMac 21.5"
Recently my mac (at the time was Snow Leopard) starting having major mouse issues, with the cursor. Anytime we would move the mouse, the cursor would jump where it wanted ie close buttons, desktop when in a program, middle of the program screen, ect. We recently updated to Mountain Lion hoping it would fix the issue (plus a few of my games had to have ML to play) So after we paid and downloaded, the first thing the cursor did was hit the apple in the top right corner as I went to open Firefox. So apparently it hasn't been fixed. I had my 123D Design game on and literally cannot click the options at the top, I click them and it shoots the cursor to the middle of the program screen. I've used the factor mouse that came with this mac and also my Razer Naga mouse (usb) and the issue still continues. I tried to call Apple but apparently I have to pay $19.00 for a look at my computer. (Since when do companies make you pay to get help =0 I've tried reconnecting the mouse, unplugging the usb, restarting, going through the mouse options in the System Prefs. Anyway, I'm about at the point to smash this thing and go back to PC and leave the mac for the trash guy =/ If anyone can help please let me know!

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
Memory 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB
Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
(Since when do companies make you pay to get help =0

Where have you been? If your Mac is no longer under warranty or extended Apple care, it's pay as you go for assistance. No different with Microsoft Windows or any other computer manufacturer. You could have purchased Apple care..... ;)

According to Mactracker, you have a mid 2010 iMac 21.5" model. (next time please state that in your post)

If you've tried other mice it may be a hardware problem. What I suggest is boot your iMac to safe boot mode (hold down the shift key as soon as you hear the boot sound) and run it that way for awhile to see if the same thing happens. Let us know.

Safe boot disables all third party drivers and start up apps. It also disables the sound and additionally runs a verify on your hard drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 iMac 21.5"
I ran it in safe mode and it is still the same outcome. We also noticed that when your watching a video on the internet (IE youtube video) then move to another tab on the internet, then return to the video, it freezes the video itself. The audio is unaffected but the video freezes. If it fixes itself it normally takes 15-45 secs to do so, if at all. The audio is really never affected by this, it just stops the video then as it "catches up" it starts jumping slides then it plays the video but it isn't sync with the audio. Normally we just have to refresh the page and just stay there until the entire thing is over, making it very very annoying.

Also I haven't needed to buy a computer for years prior to the mac, plus most things to fix on a pc were fairly easy and had more information on how to fix them. (We also had a computer guy who had a thing for them) I can't find many solutions to any mouse issue on forums, however, I do see many posts reporting similar issues I'm currently having with my mouse. Based off that solely, I'm assuming it is a hardware issue that this particular make of mac have. I could be wrong on that guess, I'm simply stating based off the forum posts I've seen from searches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.