La Cie Back up Brick

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have been using the La Cie Back up for about seven years, with great success. However I recently updated my Mac system to 10.6.8 as I was about to buy an iPad mini. Things have changed and now I cannot access the contents of the Brick. It's plugged in but doesn't show up on the desktop. I have seven years of work stored in that Brick and I'm not happy.
Can anyone out there tell me what to do to get the Brick to work for me again?
It is plugged in - I had unplugged it and replugged it in case that was all that was needed, but no joy.Please Help. kiteladylin.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open Finder - Preferences - General tab - Show these items on the Desktop - put a check mark

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have been using the La Cie Back up for about seven years, with great success. However I recently updated my Mac system to 10.6.8 as I was about to buy an iPad mini. Things have changed and now I cannot access the contents of the Brick. It's plugged in but doesn't show up on the desktop. I have seven years of work stored in that Brick and I'm not happy.
Can anyone out there tell me what to do to get the Brick to work for me again?
It is plugged in - I had unplugged it and replugged it in case that was all that was needed, but no joy.Please Help. kiteladylin.

Backup disks don't last forever just because they're used for backups :) A seven year old disk might very well have died.

Does it show up in Disk Utility at all?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have you tried plugging this drive into another machine to see if it works? Having a single HD as your primary backup is almost like having no backup at all if it fails..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.