Going to give Apple a try. What to buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
You and I both know that Apple could put a bow tie on a turd and sell a million of them.

Like the G4 Cube? Big hit, that was.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I was thinking more along the lines of the original Aluminum MacBook - where they had lopped off Firewire and essentially shot themselves in the foot as the plastic MacBook that they were selling at the same time did actually have it. Another good example is the original MacBook Air, where they basically crippled all high-speed external connections for the sake of style.

But still, it sold well. I guess you could argue that as long as it sells, it's good for the customer - but that won't stop me from complaining about it. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

G4 Cubes are actually pretty cool!...they were basically the predecessor to the Mac-Mini.:)

Consider at the time the G4 Cube was available...the only other available desktop Mac's were the:

- iMac G3
- Powermac G4 tower

I have a G4 Cube...and IMHO...they are really an engineering marvel...and actually kind of pretty in its way. The thick acrylic case, easy to access interior (especially compared to the Mac-Mini). You just have to lift one latch...and the acrylic case lifts off providing access to the innards.

The big downside (to me)...was the ginormous power supply. Just like a laptop or a Mac-Mini...the G4 Cube had a external power supply "brick"...or should call it a "cider-block"!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry I liked and like the G4 Cube.

I agree on the first aluminum Macbook with no FB. We had all the USB people saying USB is as fast. Some of us posted tests proving that was NOT the case. File Copy time wise here was sometimes 2 to 1 faster with FW 400.

I don't have as much of an issue with the Optical drives especially on the Portable machines BUT No audio Input on a PRO machine? What does PRO mean? Pros are used for Audio and Video. Also the RAM soldered in bugs me. But what bugs me the most is a Desktop where you do NOT have to make it that thin with no drives and in the case of the 21.5" no changeable RAM. People say you can take it apart and change it. Yes, but did you check the video? Heat Guns to take apart a DESKTOP?

Apple, you are cutting out your PRO and even Higher end customers. Very stupid. If you want touch Tablet, why not just get rid of it all and make it all iPad and kill off the computer as a computer with no input for me to do my audio is totally worthless. How many external devices do I need to lug around in the field with me to do my work?

Also NO WIFI as yet keeps up with Wired networking. Why is it an PAY option on the RMbp? An option that takes away one Thunderbolt port.

I will almost bet $$$ that very soon the Non Retina MBP will be history and all non reparable non pro notebooks will be the only thing in Apples line.

APPLE YOU ARE BLOWING IT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.8, 15" Retina, 500 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM.
Sorry I liked and like the G4 Cube.

I agree on the first aluminum Macbook with no FB. We had all the USB people saying USB is as fast. Some of us posted tests proving that was NOT the case. File Copy time wise here was sometimes 2 to 1 faster with FW 400.

I don't have as much of an issue with the Optical drives especially on the Portable machines BUT No audio Input on a PRO machine? What does PRO mean? Pros are used for Audio and Video. Also the RAM soldered in bugs me. But what bugs me the most is a Desktop where you do NOT have to make it that thin with no drives and in the case of the 21.5" no changeable RAM. People say you can take it apart and change it. Yes, but did you check the video? Heat Guns to take apart a DESKTOP?

Apple, you are cutting out your PRO and even Higher end customers. Very stupid. If you want touch Tablet, why not just get rid of it all and make it all iPad and kill off the computer as a computer with no input for me to do my audio is totally worthless. How many external devices do I need to lug around in the field with me to do my work?

Also NO WIFI as yet keeps up with Wired networking. Why is it an PAY option on the RMbp? An option that takes away one Thunderbolt port.

I will almost bet $$$ that very soon the Non Retina MBP will be history and all non reparable non pro notebooks will be the only thing in Apples line.

APPLE YOU ARE BLOWING IT.

I think you nailed it. I am not a professional audio engineer, but an extremely dedicated hobbyist. I spend probably around 20 to 30 hours a week doing various things with audio engineering. I may even prefer it over my actual job (Technology Consulting), hard to say for sure. Anyway, it's a major drawback for me and I have turned a number of people away from this option because of the problems I have had.

It's too bad, the OS seems to be pretty solid and the hardware is gorgeous, just lacking some components as far as I am concerned. I definitely should have researched it better before I bought the rMBP, but I am not sure what I would have done instead. I did want the 500 GB drive and 16 GB of RAM.

The machine totally smokes, doesn't seem to have any top end that I can detect.

Oh well, I made my choice, so I now I live with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Retina Macbook Pro - OS X 10.8 - 2.7 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 768 GB SSD
Retina MBP

I will highly recommend the Retina MBP! I got it right after it came out and haven't had a single issue with it yet, and the quality of the screen is amazing. The fact that the screen has such a huge view angle also makes it very convenient for watching movies, or using it as a desktop, as you won't be constantly shifting the screen for proper viewing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.