GTA IV On Bootcamp?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question for you, right now I have Windows 7 running on bootcamp, and I was wondering if it work well to play Grand Theft Auto IV. If anyone have any experiences with it,
if it would work great or just crash and get low frames per second.

I own a iMac 27 inch FYI
Windows 7

Thanks in advance :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs of that 27" iMac? Especially what Video Card and how much VRam on the card. GTA 4 is very VRam Hungry. I was playing it on a card with 512Megs Video ram pn my Windows PC and it was loosing textures and very slow. Put in a new card with 1GB VRam and it was quite good.

OP
E
Reaction score
Specs:
i7 Processor
8 Gb Ram
3.4 GHz

And graphic card NiVidia Geforce GTX 680MX I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
GTA IV is terribly optimized for PC and runs poorly even on some dedicated gaming rigs. If any iMac could run it though it would be yours since the 680mx is, to my understanding, a slightly underclocked desktop 680. Hmm, just noticed that the 27" iMac with the 680mx has a native resolution of 2560x1440. You won't get great framerates at that resolution with high details but if you are willing to lower some settings (you don't need AA or MSAA at that high of a res anyway) it should be playable. Whatever you do, do not try installing the GTA IV icenhancer mod. It will bring that 680mx to its knees. Even my i5-3570k/670 sli rig has its hands full with that one.

P.S.- if you enjoy the open world GTA game type I highly recommend checking out Sleeping Dogs.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah okay, i'll have too lower the graphics settings a bit but that shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the advice, I've bought GTA now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.