How to do a Snow Leopard clean install?

Reaction score
I inherited an old white MacBook model 2.1 from my daughter. It's gotten very slow and I figure after all these years (2007) it would benefit from a clean install of Snow Leopard to get rid of all the accumulated garbage. I am very familiar with Microsoft OS licenses but not Mac licenses.

She gave me two old install disks from the original OS X operating system that came with the computer but neither have license keys. The Snow Leopard she said she bought herself but I see no license keys on the package that I may need for a reinstall. There are some numbers on the bottom of the package but they don't look like the 4 section numerical format for Microsoft that I'm used to. Maybe I have the key and don't know it. Does Mac software need the license keys? I'm afraid I will get half way into the install and it will ask me for keys I don't have. How can I do a clean install with the disks I have or can I? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I inherited an old white MacBook model 2.1 from my daughter. It's gotten very slow and I figure after all these years (2007) it would benefit from a clean install of Snow Leopard to get rid of all the accumulated garbage. I am very familiar with Microsoft OS licenses but not Mac licenses.

OS reinstalls are generally not needed on Macintosh computers...but sometimes it makes folks feel like they are starting "fresh"...if they get a "new to me" computer.:)

She gave me two old install disks from the original OS X operating system that came with the computer but neither have license keys. The Snow Leopard she said she bought herself but I see no license keys on the package that I may need for a reinstall.

Mac OS install disks are not like Windows install disks...there are no serial numbers, licenses, COA's, etc. The rule is...one active install/set of disks. Basically it's the "honor system"!:)

I would also add...if this computer is from 2007...and the disks you have are gray-colored...the OS version on them will not be Snow Leopard (as indicated by the thread title). Snow Leopard is OS 10.6...and the version on those gray disks will be older. If you want to onstall OS 10.6 Snow Leopard...you need to buy a Snow Leopard install disk.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
OS reinstalls are generally not needed on Macintosh computers...but sometimes it makes folks feel like they are starting "fresh"...if they get a "new to me" computer.:)

Mac OS install disks are not like Windows install disks...there are no serial numbers, licenses, COA's, etc. The rule is...one active install/set of disks. Basically it's the "honor system"!:)

I would also add...if this computer is from 2007...and the disks you have are gray-colored...the OS version on them will not be Snow Leopard (as indicated by the thread title). Snow Leopard is OS 10.6...and the version on those gray disks will be older. If you want to onstall OS 10.6 Snow Leopard...you need to buy a Snow Leopard install disk.

- Nick

I have a retail copy of Snow Leopard that she purchased so I'm good to go. Basically I just want to clean out all the old programs she added and things and start over. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in the disk, reboot, hold down 'C' immediately after the chime.Leave Installer and gop to utilities > Disk Utility and run Erase. Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled), into Partition and select one single partition, under Options ensure GUID is selected. Back to Installer and run.

Then update to OS X.6.8.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.