Screen on Mac Book Pro.

Reaction score
I did something wrong. LOL

While I was on a webpage I used my touch pad wrong. My window started to become larger and larger.

I tried to fix in Displays under System Preferences with no luck.

Now I have a screen where my screen saver is that is too wide. I can't get both my Apple icon on the left and all the other icons on the right in the same screen, Also my dashboard is waaaaaaay down on the screen and out of sight. I have to scroll all the way down on the screen saver window and then just click there, out of sight and the dash board pops up.

What I want, and don't we all want, is for a readable webpage with and underlying screen saver that fits my 17" screen with my dash board right at the bottom of the page.

I bet this is doable. Too bad I don't know how to accomplish this.

HELP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Press the function button and scroll out like you are scrolling down a a page with 2 fingers.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for replying

That really didn't do much. My underlying start screen saver is too large.

And my dashboard is out of view also. My apple icon and my clock can't be seen at the same time with a window open.

Also my window moves all over the place and they are piling up on top or each other... OMG.

I've had this Mac for over 2 years. Never had this problem before.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Display's

You didn't say which 17" MacBook Pro you have...but set the resolution to:

- 1680 x 1050 (If an older 17" MacBook Pro (pre-Unibody))
- 1920 x 1200 (If a newer 17" MacBook Pro (Unibody))

HTH,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Been there done that. The font is waaaaaay to small for these old eyes.

Windows still piling up, underlying screen still tooo wide and too tall.

Have to scroll over to read time and scroll waaaaaay down to see dashboard.

And then when I click on an icon on dashboard it enlarges to almost fill screen

How to I go back to default?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What resolution do you have it set at?

Dashboard? Are you talking about the row of icons on the bottom of the screen where you can launch applications? That is called the Dock.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been there done that. The font is waaaaaay to small for these old eyes.

How to I go back to default?

"Been there done that" or not...DEFAULT...is what I posted above!

Your first post above said something about doing something wrong with your touchpad. So I tried to get you back where you started (the display's native resolution)...now in post #5...your complaining about "old eyes".

How about we solve one problem at a time...instead of a moving target!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Here's what you did: tapped (not clicked) the touchpad twice.

What that caused: screen zoom in

How to fix it: tap it twice again.

OP
W
Reaction score
OK I have gone to Preferences and Displays and set for 1920 X 1200. Font too small for these old eyes but I can live with it for awhile.

My taskbar at the top of my screen saver is too wide. Apple Icon on left side can be visible with file edit history etc with window open but on the right internet bars, battery icon and clock are not visible. Have to go move out of primary window I'm using and scroll over to view clock. And then have to move out of primary window to scroll down and view dock, sorry for misunderstanding on that. And when I click on, say mail icon it becomes very large. I suppose I can live with that too.

I understand about multiple issues but what about open windows piling up on top of each other. That never happened before.

What I want right now is to be able to see my whole top taskbar in one view with an open window inside.

Thanks. It's hard to describe in words.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I have gone to Preferences and Displays and set for 1920 X 1200. Font too small for these old eyes but I can live with it for awhile.

1920 x 1200 is the "native" resolution of your 17" MacBook Pro's display...which means this is the best looking setting with the sharpest picture quality.

I do understand that 1920 x 1200 can be a bit small...and hard on the "old eyes". This might have been something to consider before buying this particular computer model.;)

If you set the display to a different resolution (for example to make text larger)...then images may be distorted & while text will be larger...it will be less sharp (fuzzy).

To help with this...while at the same time keeping the 1920 x 1200 resolution...go to the:

- desktop/finder
- "View" menu
- from the View menu select "Show View Options"
- increase the text size

Max. size is 16...but it should help some from the default size of 12.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok pigoo3 that helps with font on my main window.

Now can you help me fix my underlying screen saver width and height. Too wide to include left and right icons in top taskbar. i.e I can't see apple icon and clock in same veiw.

Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now can you help me fix my underlying screen saver width and height. Too wide to include left and right icons in top taskbar. i.e I can't see apple icon and clock in same veiw.

When you say "task bar" do you mean the "Menu Bar"...the Menu bar that you usually see at the very top of the display?

If this is the case (and your display resolution is set at 1920 x 1200)...AND you cannot see both the Apple menu icon and the clock...then your display must be "zoomed-in". To fix this:

- press and hold the "Control" key
- use two fingers on the trackpad at the same time
- slide your fingers on the trackpad (forward/backward or towards the keyboard or away from the keyboard)

This should "zoom-in" or "zoon-out" the magnification of the display. If you zoom all the way out...then you should be able to see your Menu Bar normally.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.