Most ideal mac for me?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, and to be honest don't know a lot about computers, just that I need a new one, haha.
I'm using a powermac with the 1.8 single processor, and it's lacking a bit. I can't really watch youtube videos or anything like that, so I've opted to upgrade to a slightly newer, faster mac. I like macs more than PCs. I always had constant problems with PCs freezing, and acting different every time I used them. After buying my first mac (the one I'm on) I don't want to go back to PCs, but I'm on a budget and can't afford a new Mac.

The two macs I'm looking at are imacs and mac pros. Both from the 2006-2009 era. There are a couple of mac pros available for a reasonable price. They have the dual 2.66 processors with twin cores, but have lower bus speed (677) and DDR2 ram etc. The Imacs are 2.4 processors, some with ddr2 some with ddr3 ram, and higher bus speed 800-1.3.

I guess the question is, is an older mac pro (2006) better, or faster than a newer imac (2008-2009)? The mac pro has more processors, but slower ram, and bus speed.
Is there any year or model that should be avoided? Is there any year where there was a major change worth paying extra for? Are the older 2006 white imacs good (there are a couple 24" 2.16 for sale too)?
I do some video editing, but nothing serious, watch youtube videos etc and play the odd game.

Any info would be great. Like I said I don't know a lot about how bus speed, ram speed, and extra processors help the speed of the computer. I know more is better, but don't know which is the most important.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Given the computers you mentioned (1st generation Mac Pro's & 2008-2009 iMac)...the iMac is probably the better choice...since the iMac's can run the latest OS version...and the 1st gen. Mac Pro's cannot.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
my mid 2007 iMac is happily running mountain lion (I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB)

OP
M
Reaction score
It looks like the "quad core" mac pro I'd be looking at would be able to run at least Lion, 10.7. Is there a major advantage to running the newer OS? Is 10.8 something that should be of major importance to me? I'm still running 10.5 right now.
What would running 10.8 enable you to do that 10.7 would not?
Thanks for the responses.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To be quite honest.... I wouldn't even run Lion on that machine. Buy a copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.8 from Apple on line ($19.99) and run that instead. It will run faster, allow you to run older PPC apps, and you'll still have access to the Mac App store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a major advantage to running the newer OS? Is 10.8 something that should be of major importance to me? I'm still running 10.5 right now.
What would running 10.8 enable you to do that 10.7 would not?
Thanks for the responses.

You're not considering one other possibility...what about OS versions beyond OS 10.8 (such as OS 10.9, OS 10.10...or whatever they are called). No guarantees that the iMac's you're looking at will be able to run them...but you already know that the early Mac Pro's cannot (since it cannot even run OS 10.8).

You can also run into a lot of compatibility problems if you cannot run newer versions of the Mac OS. Printer compatibility, browser compatibility, iPhone, iPad, iPod compatibility, etc.

If you are running OS 10.5 currently...and need continued PPC app. compatibility...then the Mac Pro would be a possibility.

But if you currently have the chance to buy a newer computer...wouldn't you want it to be as modern as possible?? From the day you get it...it will only be getting older...and less and less compatible as time goes on.

Just some stuff to consider.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Put a few dollars extra in and go as suggested with a later model. Have a look at Apple Online for refurbished iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Much better value than an older machine that cannot run Mountain lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Buy a copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.8 from Apple on line ($19.99)
They still sell that? Thought they stopped shipping it when Mountain Lion dropped & it became two generations out of date...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They still sell that? Thought they stopped shipping it when Mountain Lion dropped & it became two generations out of date...

Yes Apple did stop selling Snow Leopard (OS 10.6). But then they started selling it again something like 6 months ago (maybe longer). I'm waiting for Lion to show up again (fingers crossed).:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

The ONLY reason Apple started re-selling SL is because there are hundreds of thousands (well less now) of customers who CAN upgrade to Mountain Lion (ie their machine meets the specs) but (foolishly) DIDN'T and now need to be able to upgrade to ML in order to run new software and have no other path. Apple had always sold SL through phone sales but apparently demand warranted that they move to making it available through retailers and the online store again.

There is no chance they will do the same for Lion, IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.