Not quite remote control

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
Not sure if this goes under OS or APPS.

A few weeks ago, our IT department at work was helping me on the company widows box. He could see my screen, and he could control a pointer on the screen. He could move the pointer around the screen to show me what button to click etc. He had no control over the screen though. He just pointed and advised.

I would really like to find something like this for the Mac. My parents have my old Mac, and I am their version of IT support. I don't want to take control and do it for them, I would like to be able to show them what to do.

Is there anything that will do this?

Jeff

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would really like to find something like this for the Mac. My parents have my old Mac, and I am their version of IT support. I don't want to take control and do it for them, I would like to be able to show them what to do.

Is there anything that will do this?

I think something like this is probably available...but you need to tell us:

- the specs. and OS version of your computer
- the specs. and OS version of your parents computer

We cannot recommend anything if we do not know if the computers involved are supported...and if they are supported...what version(s) of the software is/are needed.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[size=+1]Regarding your signature...what about "less than faire" maidens??[/size];)

Ugly_Princess.jpg

- Nick

[size=+1]p.s. Actually I think that's a dude![/size] ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
By the way...did you check the prices for TeamViewer?? Least expensive version is $749 dollars. I'm guessing that's a lot more than the OP wants to spend to help the parents!;)

- Nick

TeamViewer is free for personal use.
Also I think a computer would have to be very old for TeamViewer not to work

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ok good deal...I must have missed that detail.:)

Also I think a computer would have to be very old for TeamViewer not to work

Agreed. But the other day we did receive a question from someone about a Beige G3 from 1998...and we do get these sort of old Mac questions frequently enough.

And we do still get lots & lots of questions of how to upgrade to OS 10.5 (the minimum OS version for TeamViwer).

That's why I asked the OP what computers & OS versions we were talking about before recommending an application. Plus...since we have "parents" involved...you never know how old a computer may be in this situation. Especially if we are talking about older parents...who may not upgrade their hardware very often.

But statistically you are probably right...chances are the OP's computers will meet the min. system requirements.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Ok good deal...I must have missed that detail.:)

Agreed. But the other day we did receive a question from someone about a Beige G3 from 1998...and we do get these sort of old Mac questions frequently enough.

And we do still get lots & lots of questions of how to upgrade to OS 10.5 (the minimum OS version for TeamViwer).

That's why I asked the OP what computers & OS versions we were talking about before recommending an application. Plus...since we have "parents" involved...you never know how old a computer may be in this situation. Especially if we are talking about older parents...who may not upgrade their hardware very often.

But statistically you are probably right...chances are the OP's computers will meet the min. system requirements.:)

- Nick
Good point and well made.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If TeamViewer is free for personal use...I may just give it a try on a couple of my computers...just for fun!!!:)

So I do greatly appreciate the recomendation!:):)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If TeamViewer is free for personal use...I may just give it a try on a couple of my computers...just for fun!!!:)

So I do greatly appreciate the recomendation!:):)

- Nick

Used it for a long time on Windows, mac, phones and tablets.
Works brilliantly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Used it for a long time on Windows, mac, phones and tablets.
Works brilliantly.

Very nice! An experienced recommendation!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.