Does Final Cut Studio 2 runs on leopard or lion?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking into getting a new imac as my G5 imac stopped working after 5 years.

I need an imac that can handle HD editing and on Final Cut Studio 2, I have heard u can't install final cut studio 2 on leopard or lion system (G6 or G7) I was wondering if that's true?

I am not too keen to buy the new imac G6 or G7 as I have read so many bad reviews about them that u would be lucky for it to last a year?

Is there anywhere I can get a G5 imac that can handle HD editing?

If you have any suggestions that would be great :) Btw I am starting freelance work in HD video editing and that is why I'm looking into my options.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you have any suggestions that would be great :) Btw I am starting freelance work in HD video editing and that is why I'm looking into my options.

Where the heck did you get this "G6" and "G7" terminology? This terminology is not used in the "Macintosh World". And even if it were used...the "G" terminology always refers to the generation of a cpu (G3, G4, G5)...and has NOTHING to do with OS versions (Leopard or Lion). By the way..."Snow Leopard" is an OS version that goes in between Leopard & Lion.

I'm just trying to help (not trying to give you a hard time)...and set the record straight...so there is no further confusion.:)

Now regarding your questions. I'm sure you would like to purchase the newest Macintosh computer possible...that will get the job done...and still be within your budget.

Please let us know what your computer budget is...and we can suggest some possibilities.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Oh ok thanks for the clearing that up as I was confused.

Isn't the iMacs that r out tight now, lion OS version? I have been thinking if I should buy it or not as I have heard Final Cut Studio 2 can't be installed on it coz it doesn't support PPC.

That's why I need to know if Final Cut Studio 2 runs on lion and what specs I should look for HD editing to make up my mind on which imac to get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
The latest iMacs run Mountain Lion and no, Final Cut Studio 2 will not run on Mountain Lion. Final Cut Pro 7 was the first version to run on Intel processors. Final Cut Studio 2 includes Final Cut Pro 6 unfortunately.

Your copy of Final Cut Studio 2 WILL run on:
-Leopard
-Snow Leopard

It WILL NOT run on
-Lion
-Mountain Lion (the current ver. of OSX)

You have a few options.

-You could buy one of the current iMacs that are more than capable of editing HD footage (make sure to upgrade the CPU to the Core i7 for this) and purchase Final Cut Pro X along with it for a cool $300. Final Cut Pro X combines the features of Final Cut Pro and Color and rolls them into one package. Compressor and Motion are sold separately for $50 each. This is obviously the most expensive option but offers the greatest future-proofing. You won't have to worry about another computer for a long while.

-you can buy a new iMac and downgrade back to Snow Leopard which was the last version of OSX to run PPC applications such as Final Cut Studio 2. This is sort of middle of the road price-wise as you will still be purchasing a new computer and operating system but will save you money on having to purchase FCPX.

-you can purchase an older, used or refurbished iMac with Snow Leopard already on it and just install your copy of FCs2. This is the cheapest option but you might have to get a new computer again pretty soon. Especially with 4K video beginning to roll out.

Also realize that FCPX is built for multi core CPU's such as the Intel Core i5 or i7 whereas FCs2 is not. I could go into details on the technology behind it but I'll spare everyone and just say that FCPX will run much quicker and smoother than FCs2 on a new iMac because it actually takes advantage of all of that available power.

-------------

For HD video editing, you'll want to max out those specs unfortunately. The CPU is especially important to upgrade. Get the fastest one available (the Intel Core i7) and lots of RAM and hard drive space should be your next priority to upgrade. The GPU ideally should be upgraded too but only certain applications allow graphics accelerated playback and I'm not sure FCPX is one of them. I know FCs2 is not. Adobe Premiere Pro has this feature though so FCPX might also.

Basically just try and max out those specs. Act like you're building a gaming PC. If you want to save some money, know that the RAM is the only thing on the iMac that can be upgraded down the line yourself. It's much cheaper to buy RAM from a 3rd party website such as OWC, Crucial, or NewEgg and install it yourself than upgrading it through Apple at the time of purchase. This alone can save you hundreds of dollars.

I hope this helps!

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks that does help....I really do have to think about it, people that I worked with in industry r not using FCPX as they r disappointed in it so they either use FCP6 on an older system or have moved onto avid which seems the editing software that is taking the lead.

I have been using sony Vegas pro on a laptop but I need to look at other options as this laptop is not strong enough for editing, it keeps glitching during playback and I am not a fan of PCs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.