I thought the Apple experience would be easier!

Reaction score
Last September 1, I bought an iPad. I'd had an iPod nano and shuffle before, but had no idea what was out there until I got the iPad. So first thing, I set up an Apple ID, and proceeded to acquire a used MacBook Air, new Airport Extreme, Apple TV, etc., until one day I realized I wanted a different Apple ID. So I changed it, following all the instructions. I was plagued with problems for about 3 months. Finally got that down to a dull roar, when I broke my iPad. In the process of getting the new one set up, i goofed something up and needed to change my Apple ID password for some reason I don't even remember.

That is when the real fun began. Now half my apps don't know who I am any longer. Is there some kind of checklist that is hard to find that I am missing? I follow instructions well, and tried to do everything according to Hoyle, but geez. This is almost, and I did say ALMOST, as frustrating as a MS experience. What must I do to get all of my stuff to cooperate again?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not understanding how things work...ALWAYS makes things seem more confusing. Any sort of new technology (new to the owner) will always seem confusing at first.

Get a new cell phone, a new flat-screen TV, or a new garage door opener...and prepare to be confused for a while!;)

No difference with Apple products. Sorry...but even Apple products (from time to time) have a learning curve!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I've been careful to never change my apple ID username. It's not the one I want, but I've read too many stories like yours. So for me the Apple experience and integration of my devices has been a breeze.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sorry, I don't have the answer for you either, just an observation. All these gadgets are supposed to make life easier, I think. But when you own redundant devices and want them all to be in sync (or sink, if you prefer - I've actually seen that) the misery begins. My tech life is simple. I have a Mac Mini.

Yeah, that's the end of the story. I do have a "dumb" cell phone, which I don't use much, a TV/DVR remote, and a garage door opener. My snowblower is electric start too. I even have a fax machine at home. Fortunately, none of these gadgets need to be synced with the others. Ah, peace and quiet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
Sorry, I don't have the answer for you either, just an observation. All these gadgets are supposed to make life easier, I think. But when you own redundant devices and want them all to be in sync (or sink, if you prefer - I've actually seen that) the misery begins. My tech life is simple. I have a Mac Mini.

Yeah, that's the end of the story. I do have a "dumb" cell phone, which I don't use much, a TV/DVR remote, and a garage door opener. My snowblower is electric start too. I even have a fax machine at home. Fortunately, none of these gadgets need to be synced with the others. Ah, peace and quiet!

Problem for me is that Apple leads you to believe that your multiple devices will all sync. Supposed to be one of the many reasons for sticking with Apple. Well, maybe that's true for some of you but not for this newbie. I am coming to the realization that my tech life was easier when I only had an iPad.

M

MacInWin

@johnnyboy49, have you called Apple to ask for help with the issue? Changing passwords should not cause "half my apps don't know who I am any longer" to occur. Changing Apple ID is more troublesome, as it can lead to some confusion in keeping apps up to date, but shouldn't create a situation where you cannot use the app on the device itself. Can you please provide a bit more technical detail on what is going on? What software "half my apps don't know who I am any longer?" What do you mean by "don't know?" What messages or error are you seeing? It would also help to know how the specs on your MacBookAir and version of OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
All you need is ONE Apple ID and password and everything should sync. I have an iMac, a Macbook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone and pretty much everything syncs up across everything. Once in awhile I get duplicate calendar events or something but I find solutions pretty quickly and easily online.

But I always tell new Apple users to think carefully and decide on one Apple ID they want to use because it's going to be used for everything. It's the same with the Windows Live and SkyDrive ID.

I'm sure your solution is simple, Johnnyboy and MacWannabe. If my dad and my aunt, both of whom had never used a computer before, can do it, almost anyone can!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
The products you downloaded with your original Apple ID are linked to that ID and that ID only. Products downloaded with a newer Apple ID are linked to that ID and that ID only. To update products linked to the original ID you need to use that ID. You cannot merge Apple IDs and are now stuck with two. And yes this is a bugbear that hundreds of users have moaned to Apple about and got nowhere.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
until one day I realized I wanted a different Apple ID. So I changed it, following all the instructions.
This is the root of your troubles. Moving around Apple IDs is tricky and further complicated when you start changing passwords. You need to stick to one Apple ID and use that.

My advice - unlink every device and relink them with the same account. In other words, start "fresh."

C

chas_m

Perhaps someday Apple will allow users more management over Apple IDs, for example merging them. Until then, users have to be careful about Apple IDs and not accumulate them pointlessly like (too many) people do email addresses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.