Intel versus AMD, interesting article...

Reaction score
Hello:

I hope this is the correct forum for this article. It's not Apple related, but thought it was quite interesting based on the move to dual core processors.

CNET compared the 5 AMD and 4 Intel dual core processors. I've seen similar articles and AMD usually outperforms Intel. I wasn't surprised that AMD came out on top, but I was surprised by the margin.

I'm a little curious why apple didn't team up with AMD. Could simply be that Intel is more widely used.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html?tag=prmo1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
VakeJ said:
Hello:

I hope this is the correct forum for this article. It's not Apple related, but thought it was quite interesting based on the move to dual core processors.

CNET compared the 5 AMD and 4 Intel dual core processors. I've seen similar articles and AMD usually outperforms Intel. I wasn't surprised that AMD came out on top, but I was surprised by the margin.

I'm a little curious why apple didn't team up with AMD. Could simply be that Intel is more widely used.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html?tag=prmo1

From what I've read, it boils down to resources: AMD is a chipmaker; Intel makes chips, bridges, busses, graphics chips, etc. etc. etc. Intel brought the whole deal to the table; AMD would have only brought the chip. I don't know if that's completely correct but it sounds like a good enough reason to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It really should have gone in "Anything Goes," really. Maybe someone will move it.

There's also the performance-per-watt equation that Apple gave when it announced the decision. Both the chips in the C|Net article are fairly hot, energy-intensive chips. So is the G5. The Core Duo that Apple is using is much more efficient than the Pentium-D or any current AMD chip, and much faster than the G4 or AMD Turion (both single-core.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.