Using projector with Macbook Pro /Retina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Refurb'd 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 w/ Retina & 256G Flash
This may be a simple question, but consider me a simpleton, as I'm very new to Mac and haven't used a projector in a long time.

Do I need to download a driver to use a VGA projector with my 15" MBP /Retina?

The projector is an InFocus IN112, I've looked at the InFocus website and don't see any mention of needing a driver, however today I plugged my MBP into the projector and the Mac didn't recognize it.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Drivers are not needed for attaching a projector or external monitor to your Retina MBP. If the projector was not recognized, it might be that you're not using the correct adapter and or cable from the thunderbolt output port on your Retina MBP to the projector.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drivers are not needed for attaching a projector or external monitor to your Retina MBP. If the projector was not recognized, it might be that you're not using the correct adapter and or cable from the thunderbolt output port on your Retina MBP to the projector.

Thanks chscag, I didn't have an adapter at the time and was plugging into a USB port, will it only work via the Thunderbolt port?

Again, thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your projector is not going to work plugged into USB. It needs a video signal (and audio of course) in order to project your slides or presentations on an external screen. So yes, you need an adapter and cable from the Retina thunderbolt port to the video input port on the projector.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.