Disk clean-up

Reaction score
I have had My MacBook Pro for a year and haven't cleaned up temp files on the hard drive. I ran a disk utility that did something with permissions, but don't see any utilities like defrag and disk clean-up like I have in windows.

CaptainDave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Try the free "tune-up" program Onyx:

Titanium's Software • Index page

It's a very good program. It has lots of features...but we usually recommend sticking with the preset automated default tasks (there's a button for this when you launch the program).

Once you get comfortable and experienced with Onyx...you can "tweak" some of the settings. Personally...I've always found the default settings to be all I needed.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I (I) don't see any utilities like defrag and disk clean-up like I have in windows.

That's because the OS does the heavy lifting for you. There are no temp files to clean up, and it's not really necessary to defrag a Mac.

C

chas_m

Captain Dave: pigoo and toMACsh's answers may seem contradictory, but they are not.

Pigoo is correct that for the most part, the Mac takes care of its own maintenance, and does a lot of that cleanup for you automatically, so you don't really have to worry about it.

OnyX provides an occasional fine tuning and goes a little beyond what the Mac does automatically. I run it about four or fives times a year.

Provided you keep a healthy amount of free space available on your Mac at all times (I don't like to pretend there is a magic exact percentage but at least 10 percent is a good guideline), you have very little you need to do to keep the Mac running smoothly, particularly if you're also making routine backups and installing a healthy amount of RAM for the level of work you do.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll second that. I really only run permission repairs and clean out the cruft if I am seeing early signs of unusual behavior.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.