Macbook pro screen problem

Reaction score
Hi I have a macbook pro 2006 17 inch that has a screen fault. The laptop has been dropped so the screen has come away from its hinges/ cracked hinges. However the computer still works fine with a monitor and the macbook apart from this works fine. The screen itself is completely intact.The problem is that I can still see the screen working very faintly but its like the brightness is permanently right down - when i press the brightness button it seems the brightness is on full. I have tried resetting the PRAM, taking the battery out and powering up with only power lead. None of these work. Any other ideas? (I want to fix it to sell it if possible). Thanks for your help:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's either the screen inverter (a fairly cheap fix) or the backlight (which is more expensive as in most cases it's built into the screen assembly).

Have a look for your Mac on iFixit for specifics of the repair and what's involved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.