iBook Memory Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
What's the most RAM the iBook G4 can take?

I have a 12" iBook G4 with 512MB RAM, however; It's not the newest revision and so i don't have a single 512 stick in.

Im just wondering because i was thinking of upgrading the memory, is there anywhere i can get a 1GB module cheap?

And would you bother upgrading a 12" iBook G4 to 1GB>?

Also, how easy is it fitting the RAM yourself?

Regards,

Chris. :mac:

Reaction score
i just had another 512k stick installed in my iBook at the apple store.

make sure you get a good quality memory card. i heard a lot of rumblings that some memory modules don't always work in a mac. mine was $150 but i bought it right from mac store so i know i paid more.

macmall.com probably has some cheaper ones.

good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
munch said:
I just put this in:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145065

I had a little bit of trouble putting it in, but I explain what I did wrong in this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29563

Just be sure to push it into one corner all the way, then the other. I couldn't make it fit by pushing the entire thing in at one time. Don't force it, just put it in gently.

Thanks for the info,

Is your iBook the same as mine then? 12" G4...

What kinda difference does the extra 1GB have? seeming as though i have 256 on board and a seperate 256 stick if i got a 1GB stick i could only max out at 1 and 1/4GB ram, which im thinking would be enough for photoshop, the occasional light video editing etc etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
MrChris said:
Thanks for the info,

Is your iBook the same as mine then? 12" G4...

What kinda difference does the extra 1GB have? seeming as though i have 256 on board and a seperate 256 stick if i got a 1GB stick i could only max out at 1 and 1/4GB ram, which im thinking would be enough for photoshop, the occasional light video editing etc etc...

I have the 12" G4 but with 1.33 Ghz. You won't see a huge improvement in things like start up times, but you will see a remarkable difference in the amount of programs you can run and how fast things process. I wouldn't run imovie or idvd without that extra gig. It was incredibly slow before and runs way better now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.