CAN"T UPDATE IPAD 1 TO iOS 6

Reaction score
My iPad 1 is saying that the currently install version of iOS 5.1.1 is the latest. I have tried using wi-fi from the iPad and also via iTune but same thing. I want to update to iOS 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
My iPad 1 is saying that the currently install version of iOS 5.1.1 is the latest.

That's because it is. Any version above 5.1.1 is not supported on the first gen iPad. Reason? Because app developers drop support for older hardware, and thus, their apps will not work on them. This isn't just Apple, this is the nature of technology.

Time for a new iPad if you want all the latest features.

Doug

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's sad but true. You are stuck with 5.1.1.

C

chas_m

You guys make 5.1.1 sound like an albatross around his neck. :)

Yeah, what was said above is true -- but iOS 5 for the iPad 1 makes the most sense. The iPad 1 has much more limited RAM and graphics and just can't handle some of the stuff that the newer iPads can.

Time to sell your old one to someone who's needs are light, and get yourself a refurb or new iPad. I absolutely *love* my third-gen iPad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs on an iPhone 3GS? Check and you will find it has a slower CPU and graphic hardware yet IOS 6 works on it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iPad specs and iPhone 3Gs specs are here. Just on the processor, the iPad is faster at 1GHz as opposed to 800 MHz for iPhone 3Gs..

I don't believe the limitation is a hardware capability one as much as it is a marketing one..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the spec pages for the 3gs I have just gone to say 600Mhz.

CPU 600 MHz Cortex-A8
GPU PowerVR SGX535

As you said the iPad 1 is a 1Ghz A8.

It's for sure a marketing decision by Apple. What I heard Apple say back when IOS6 came out was the iPad does not have a camera. What does a Camera have to do with it functioning! :D Grin

5.1.1 does work fine except some of my Apps updates will not install as they need IOS6.

C

chas_m

Try checking the graphics processor on the two devices and get back to me if you still think it's "just a marketing decision."

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try checking the graphics processor on the two devices and get back to me if you still think it's "just a marketing decision."

Holy cow Chas! You are right, they are the exact same PowerVR SGX535 processor..it's totally not a marketing decision at all..

PS, I've worked with the PowerVR SGX core in Cortex A8 processor..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The iPad 1 is more similar to the iPhone 4 in terms of hardware. So, it actually outclasses the 3GS even.

End-of-lifing the iPad 1 at barely 2 years old was yet another kick in the nads for Apple early adopters - and in my opinion, a forced obsolescence maneuver, designed to sell more iPads. I guess one could argue that since devices in this space are rapidly evolving, being an early adopter in what was essentially a new platform, this could be expected... but it was the early adopters who made the platform successful and paved the way for the iPad 2 and newer.

Of course, this certainly isn't unique to Apple - the Android manufacturers are pretty much doing the same thing (and sometimes with devices that are less than 2 years old). I understand when they do it with phones as the typical phone contract is 2 years - but my hope is that these companies start to recognize that tablets are a general purpose computing platform, and that they should have at least a 3 year service life (and I'm talking about 3 years from the date the LAST unit in a series was sold).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I understand when they do it with phones as the typical phone contract is 2 years - but my hope is that these companies start to recognize that tablets are a general purpose computing platform, and that they should have at least a 3 year service life (and I'm talking about 3 years from the date the LAST unit in a series was sold).
Although I agree, I'm not sure I see this happening (unfortunately). The turn around in development cycles is too quick and the devices more closely resemble mobile phones which, as odd as it may seem, makes it easier to justify the obsolescence. That said, I think the major factor is the use of mobile operating systems - use those and they "become" mobile devices in the same way a phone is and they are thus subject to the same rules and development patterns. While I don't agree, I think the confluence of these three things makes it more easily justified. If my theory is correct, I wonder what this will do for W8 tablets.

C

chas_m

I apologize, you're right they do have the same graphics processor. I was under the impression that the processor was inferior.

I'm still not convinced it was entirely a marketing decision -- I'm sure some concern about the quality of the experience played some role in there. For example, there are apps that the iPhone 3GS (even running iOS 6) can't run, but I'm not sure they (at the time) could distinguish an iPad 1 from the other iPads.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple releases new versions of their products on a certain cycle like most vendors, however, they've realized that they can't go obsoleting the computers based purely on marketing and forcing consumers to upgrade since the computers tend to cost quite a lot compared to other vendors..

However, they seem to deem the iPods, iPhones and iPads in a different light and care less about obsoleting previous generations JUST to make the newer version more appealing.

I mean, at the end of day, if you look at the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. The big differentiation is that 4S has Siri, 4 does not. I am totally skeptical of the reasoning that the iPhone 4 hardware can't support that. Then on iOS 6, they opted to not support turn-by-turn direction and other cool features in Maps on the iPhone 4, just the 4S. But the Google Maps app on my iPhone 4 has no problem handling the turn-by-turn directions..so I call BS on that..

Now I realize that they'd have people up in arms if they allowed the latest iOS to function on the original iPhone since the only way they can support that is with limited/curtailed functionality and that's going to **** people off. Allow full functionality and the lack of performance will **** people off too. Also, now they have to create a group within the iOS development team just to cut functionality with each version of iOS to make it work on previous generations of the iDevices..so I get all that..and I think MOST reasonable people will realize that iOS 6 will just not be good on the original iPhone..

But cutting of newer hardware to force Marketing obsolescence is just annoying..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.