Questions on Mac Pro's

Reaction score
I am currently looking at maybe getting a new apple. I have a iMac, 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB Ram and 250HD. It has been running slow and choppy for the past few months and think it is time to get a Mac Pro. However, I don't wish to spend a ton of cash either and will need display. I am wondering if picking up a used/refurb model to gain a better processor vs a brand new one with a lower processor. Right now, I mainly use my Mac for streaming media to Xbox, downloading and web surfing. I also wish for it to last more then a few years as well and willing to pay a little bit more for that to happen. Models I am looking at are:

Originally released August 2010
Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processor
6GB (6 x 1GB) of 64GB of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory
1TB Serial ATA 7200 rpm
18x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 memory

OR

New
One 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processor
6GB (3X2GB) of 32GB of DDR3 ECC SDRAM
1TB Serial ATA 7200 rpm
18x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 memory

What do you guys think?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do you guys think?

Technically speaking...Mac Pro's (non-server models) haven't been updated since 2010.

- That 1st Mac Pro model you listed is really the newest non-server Mac Pro model (so it really isn't "old")...because Mac Pro's really haven't been redesigned since 2010. This model was discontinued June, 2012...but was released July 2010.

- The 2nd Mac Pro you listed is technically a "server" model...and was released November, 2010.

So of these computers were basically released around the same time:

- 2.4ghz model...July, 2010
- 3.33ghz model...November, 2010

- Both use "Westmere" cpu's (the lastest & greatest cpu used in Mac Pro's).
- Both have the same 5770 video card

Geekbench benchmark scores are:

- 12,788 (2.4ghz, 8-core model)
- 14,809 (3.33ghz, 6-core model)

The BIG difference between these two models is the maximum ram:

- 2.4ghz, 8-core model...max. ram 128gig
- 3.33ghz, 6-core model...max. ram 48gig (much less)

Now the REAL DEAL.;) For the computing tasks you mentioned:

- streaming media to Xbox
- downloading
- web suffering (I'm assuming you mean "web surfing")

...you DO NOT need a Mac Pro!!!;) You would be much better off with a nice 27" iMac!!!:)

Not only will this solve the needing a monitor problem...but you will also save about $1000 in the process!!!:)

HTH,:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
+1 on that advice

The only thing I would add is to check your disk free space. If you have less than 25GB free it could be a lot of the reason your Mac is slowing down.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I would add is to check your disk free space. If you have less than 25GB free it could be a lot of the reason your Mac is slowing down.

Good suggestion. OP's computer may just need some periodic maintenance. Which of course would save MUCH MORE money than buying a Mac Pro or a new iMac!:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Good suggestion. OP's computer may just need some periodic maintenance. Which of course would save MUCH MORE money than buying a Mac Pro or a new iMac!:)

- Nick

Thank you for the great information above and the comments too. I was having issues were the Mac would lock up during opening apps forcing me to press the power button. I was repairing pressmissions once a month to somewhat fix the slowness/lock up issues for a short time. I also would run the cocktail app to clean things up and it would fix it for a couple months. Now...I have backed up, erased HDD, reinstalled OS and reloaded back up. Mac seems to be running better, but still worried I will have a repeat.

Now, I have a hard on for Mac Pro's....I have wanted a Mac Pro from when I saw an G4 in 97. I have owned my 27 iMac for 5 years and love it, but wish to beef it up. I don't like how I can't hold a few HDD to store movies to stream or the fact to raise the ram past 4 gb (current level). My thinking is I might spend more, but have a longer life with it. Ram is what I think is key, but shocked the single 6 Core beat the 8 Core. The model out of the box will be a great deal faster, wait a year or so and add a SSD for the OS and max the ram out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the great information above and the comments too. I was having issues were the Mac would lock up during opening apps forcing me to press the power button. I was repairing pressmissions once a month to somewhat fix the slowness/lock up issues for a short time. I also would run the cocktail app to clean things up and it would fix it for a couple months. Now...I have backed up, erased HDD, reinstalled OS and reloaded back up. Mac seems to be running better, but still worried I will have a repeat.

You could also try a free program called Onyx to clean things up a bit:

Titanium's Software • Index page

As "Ravingmac" mentioned...make sure your HD is not almost full. You could also read some of the links in my signature...some great info there.

Now, I have a hard on for Mac Pro's....I have wanted a Mac Pro from when I saw an G4 in 97.

Well actually...Mac Pro's have only been around since 2006...so you couldn't have wanted one since 1997.;)

But I do understand your "strong-desire" to get a Mac Pro. I was the same way a few years ago...so I got a really nice used 8-core Mac Pro. But I eventually came to the conclusion that it was really a BIG BEAST...and not all software programs take advantage of all 8-cores. Many programs will only use 2 cores...so a lot of that computing power sits idle.

So I sold my Mac Pro a couple years later:( (about 12 months ago)...got the same price I paid for it:)...and bought a really nice quad-core 17" MacBook Pro (which better fit my needs)!:)

I have owned my 27 iMac for 5 years and love it, but wish to beef it up.

Is this the same computer you mentioned in post #1 of this thread??

Because if it is...to the best of my knowledge Apple never made a 2.0ghz 27" iMac. AND...it couldn't be 5 years...since the first 27" iMac came out in October, 2009 (about 3.5 years ago).;)

I don't like how I can't hold a few HDD to store movies to stream or the fact to raise the ram past 4 gb (current level).

New 27" iMac's have larger hard drives (up to 3 terabytes via custom configuration). Thanks 12x larger than what you currently have.:)

New 27" iMac's also have higher max. ram levels...up to 32gig.:)

Ram is what I think is key, but shocked the single 6 Core beat the 8 Core.

I thought that you might come to this conclusion. But it's because the 6-core Mac Pro has a higher clock speed (3.33ghz versus 2.40ghz in the 8-core). But remember...the 8-core has a max. ram of 128gig...versus 48gig for the 6-core.

But still...48gig of ram is a lot...so if the 6-core is what you prefer...that's ok!:)

Finally...if you get the newest maxed-out 27" iMac (3.4ghz quad-core)...it has a Geekbench score of 12,857...which actually compares very well with both of the Mac Pro's mentioned in this thread.

I still say that you would be best off with a new 27" iMac...but I do understand the desire to get a Mac Pro!;)

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I did use and had Oynx, but it stop doing the job a couple years ago. Cocktail works great and didn't mind paying for a good working app (support new or updates). I also have 94GB of HDD space free out of the 250GB HDD and I have it back up on a 1 TB WD HDD. Space isn't the issue here and my Mac is running super slow during boot up.

Well, you got me on the model...it was a G3 and it might have been 98ish too. However, that has lead me to get a powerbook then to my current IMac. Which, you are correct on the size too...22' iMac Aluminum. However, it is still acting funny when starting up, opening apps and opening web browsers. Worried it could be the HDD on the way out.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...my Mac is running super slow during boot up.

...Worried it could be the HDD on the way out.....

With the way things are being described:

- you have a decent amount of HD free space
- you've used Onyx & Cocktail

...the HD slowly dying is a prime candidate for this type of slowness.

Depending on the model iMac you have...replacing the HD is really not a big deal (although it is harder on some models). As long as you have everything important backed up...there really is absolutely no reason to worry!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.