unix executable file

Reaction score
hello
im new to Macs and have been trying to open a small video file from an old memory stick that i wish to work on in i movies. the problem is that it is a 'unix executable file' (like i know what the **** that is) to make matters worse the portable hard drive that it is contained on seems to somehow be locked as it will not allow me to delete or re name anything on it. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated
thank you
confused.com

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Can you tell us what extension is on this file?

Before suggesting my next idea, make sure you have a nice backup of your system just in case..:)

Open up the terminal and go to the memory stick (usually under /Volumes) and then do
Code:
ls -l

This will show you the contents of the stick. Find the file you are interested in and see if for permissions you see rwxr-xr-x or something like that. Now do a "file <filename>" and see what it says, and for grins you can try "./<filename>" and see if it does anything or just balks at you..

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, sorry to seem thick, what do you mean by 'what extension is on the file'

OP
J
Reaction score
just found a box that says 'name and extension' but this simplt has a personal name for the file

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you do the "ls -l" command, you can see the name of the file and it might be something like "filename.bin"..the BIN is the extension means it's an executable BINary..

OP
J
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Can you tell us what extension is on this file?

Before suggesting my next idea, make sure you have a nice backup of your system just in case..:)

Open up the terminal and go to the memory stick (usually under /Volumes) and then do
Code:
ls -l

This will show you the contents of the stick. Find the file you are interested in and see if for permissions you see rwxr-xr-x or something like that. Now do a "file <filename>" and see what it says, and for grins you can try "./<filename>" and see if it does anything or just balks at you..

sorry bud, you are dealing with a real luddite here, i have no idea what the above even meant:\

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:) OK..open up Finder and you should see the memory stick on the left sidebar. Click on that and then the contents should show up. Click on the file of interest and hit CMD+i and under General, tell us what the Type is..

OP
J
Reaction score
ok, thanks for your patience
it says
kind: unix executable file
sizre 42,123,384 bytes (42.1mb on disc)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What happens when you just double click on it?

Reaction score
Open Terminal and do "file /path/to/file" That may give some more info.

"unix executable file" may mean that the execute bit is set In Terminal, again, do "ls -l /path to file"

Post those results and hopefully they'll help steer someone in the right direction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.