Water damage to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
My wife spilled water on her MacBook Pro keyboard a couple of weeks ago. I installed a new top cover and everything worked fine. Then in a repeat performance a week later, she spilled a cup of hot tea on the closed cover. Unfortunately, the computer was in sleep mode and she opened the lid. The screen worked and then quit.

I took the back cover off and let it dry for 4 days, and it still doesn't work. When I took the back off, there was water under the area of the battery, but I didn't see any other. The battery works. I tried connecting an external monitor and it didn't work, This pretty much says it is the motherboard.

Short of getting another wife, is there any service that will test the motherboard to tell me if that is the problem? Can I test the actual screen by plugging it into my MacBook Pro? Any other suggestions? I hate to start buying parts without knowing what the problem is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Short of getting another wife...

Ha ha ha...this was my EXACT first thought!!!;)

...is there any service that will test the motherboard to tell me if that is the problem?

Not really. If the computer is not working...then there is no way to run a diagnostic test (software based test).

Can I test the actual screen by plugging it into my MacBook Pro?

Do you mean plugging one MacBook Pro into another MacBook Pro? Nope...can't do it...since no MacBook Pro has a "video-in" port (just video-out). And even if MacBook Pro's had a video-in port...the motherboard needs to be operational.

Any other suggestions? I hate to start buying parts without knowing what the problem is.

Not really...other than the new wife idea! Just kidding!;)

If the motherboard is shot...then it's time for a new computer. Replacement logic boards cost too much to be worth it. Also...considering that this computer has suffered two spills (close together)...you never know...some issues could be from spill #1 and/or spill #2.

- Nick

p.s. You could also give this thread a read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to the fine advice from Nick.... buy your wife a notebook stand for the new MacBook Pro which we know you'll be buying her. ;) A notebook stand will give some protection against any future spills.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
....buy your wife a notebook stand for the new MacBook Pro which we know you'll be buying her. ;) A notebook stand will give some protection against any future spills.

Great idea!:)

I would recommend one of these as well (just teasing)!;)

starbucks-sippy-cup-300x264.png

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get another computer Dave ~ much cheaper than getting another wife!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help on this. I have the hard drive out and am dumping the data to an 1 TB drive. believe it or not, this convinced her to use a cup with a closing lid, like I asked her to do for years. So - the Sippey cup wasn't a joke after all.

I am not getting her a new macbook. I went out yesterday and got her a 16 G Ipad with a keyboard. She loves it.

Now to see if people salvage parts from these.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All old.
My was drenched in a rain storm. I let it sat for over two weeks then I booted it up. Let it dry some more. Not sure this would help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.