MacBook Pro Model A1260

Reaction score
So I started my MacBook Pro and the DVD, HDD start but the LCD does not show the Apple or the DTop. I have tried to boot from an external HDD using FWire800 and even attaching an external LCD monitor - no joy.
Any thoughts please.:\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I started my MacBook Pro and the DVD, HDD start but the LCD does not show the Apple or the DTop.

Are you saying that the laptops display is totally blank/black...it does not illuminate at all?

If so...turn the computer on...give it a few minutes (like the time it would take for it to boot up normally). Then take a flashlight (a "torch" if you're in the UK or maybe you're from Canada with that username);)...and shine it on the display (in a darkened room) at different angles. See if you can see your normal desktop.

Also...does the computer make the normal "happy sound" when you try to boot the computer pressing the power button?

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
MacBook Pro A1260

Hi Nick,
Yes I get the "happy sound" on pressing the power button.
Did the flashlight think - nothing to be seen on any angle - the Back Lit KBoard works!
The HHD is booting and finally stops. I had tried the PRAM bit as well. In fact the HDD is chattering away now. Sounds now like the feint fans in background but no DTop picture.
CC:Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Nick,
Yes I get the "happy sound" on pressing the power button.
Did the flashlight think - nothing to be seen on any angle - the Back Lit KBoard works!
The HHD is booting and finally stops. I had tried the PRAM bit as well. In fact the HDD is chattering away now. Sounds now like the feint fans in background but no DTop picture.

Ok...thanks for doing all that checking.:)

Two more ideas:

1. Try doing an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. I know that you tried plugging an external monitor into the computer to see if that would get a "picture"...with no luck. But try this...running the computer in "clamshell mode":

Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

Try each suggestion separately...booting the computer between each test.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
MacBook Pro A1260

Nick many thanks for your suggestions -
Will get back to post when done

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.