Imac crash

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here with a biggie (for me anyway) I run an Imac 2.4Ghz Intel core 2 duo from mid 2007. Realising last year was my last chance to upgrade fully to Mountain Lion I did as was advised and kept upgrading via Snow Leopard and a 4GB RAM boost. All was fine until recently when a series of power incidences whilst work was being done on my property resulted in it acting up. First it would reboot randomly or freeze with forced quit the only cure. Then it began rebooting but would get stuck in the reboot music loop repeating endlessly (usually about 5am!). Then it finally froze and I could do little with it. Having searched for advice I (foolishly?) decided to reinstall from original disks. I did not know enough about recovery and clean install to risk erasing HD. So I did this and spent a few hours going through software updates but am now up to date apparently. I am running OS X 10.4.11 but when I try to install SL via disk it opens a pane where my only option is click restart to begin install but then restarts back to same page. I then tried CMD+R to see if partition was still there as did not erase HD before reinstall. This has allowed me to download Mountain Lion 10.8.2 from the Apple store but it will not open as I need to be running 10.5. I also need to be running 10.5 to use my Time Capsule via time machine apparently.
Sorry for the tediously long explanation but as you can probably tell I'm at the very high end of my skills/knowledge and would really appreciate any suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.